New diagnosis

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi, ive just been diagnosed with gallstones and have been referred to a surgeon. I'm in a lot of pain which paracetamol doesn't help and I'm very unsure about diet other than low fat. Can anyone advise me please?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It isna trial and error to be honest.

It wasnt always fatty stuff that set me off. so i kept a diary of everything i ate and came up with the things that set it off.

My GP had to prescribe me sronger pain relief. as it was stopping me from working.

And that helped.

Good luck.. 

I had my gall bladder removed 7/12/16

• Posted

Thanks for your reply gill, I will try keeping a food diary, makes sense. X
  • Posted

I waited 2 months for my surgery. The attacks were so bad, I could only eat tomatoes and cucumbers.
    • Posted

Hi Marketa, tomatoes is a strange one, I may have to try elimination.X
  • Posted

I stay off dairy and soya, all fatty foods, eat lots oats, oat milk, white uncoated fish, plain boiled rice etc... Boring but doesn't hurt

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Adrian, ive been trying a very plain diet, I read that apple puree and juice is good, I think I'll  try it....cautiously!! X

• Posted

Hi Sue, it is just trial and error, the surgeon said my husband should keep a diary as well to see what irritated it, but it made no difference. He also said keep off onions, garlic and cucumber. What we have done is go onto gluten free bread, and oat milk, I don't know whether it helps as he still gets the pain but maybe not as often in severity. He also finds a hot water bottle and relaxation helps a bit too. He is still waiting for op 18 weeks so we just keep trying anything really. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Belinda, that's interesting about the gluten, I wonder why that bothers it? Its a steep learning curve for sure!! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.