New diagnosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all. I hope all are doing well.

Well; after a month off work due to another illness, I am out of woek once again. I have been diagnosed with Cellulitis (extremely painful). My job is very physically demanding, and I am getting depressed. I can't seem to go an entire year without something going wrong in regards to my health. Dealing with my latest issue has caused me to think long and hard about my future in the work force.

Dealing with cellulitis didn't seem like it would be that bad, after the initial pain. However; I will be out of work for at least 2 weeks. I have had many health issues, but this is just down right painful, and missing work once again is getting old. Has anyone been dealing with similar issues?

Happy Holidays to all.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

hi jon cellulitus can be very nasty but hopefully your on the mend  but i cant see you working with heavy workload till its cleared if your having lots of other issues get the doc invollved blood tests etc i have had it 3/4 times last couple of years and am on low dose abs for life but touch wood gone and no pain so there is light for you but make sure you keep on top of it dont know age and health which makes a big differance do you need /want to work  in uk get help luckly i am retired it would have stoppe me working but also other issues as well  hope i have answered ok foryou all the best jon and family
  • Posted

I was rushed to hospital 20-odd years ago with suspected meningitis. After everything was calmed down (including the lovely spinal tap!) the diagnosis was cellulitis. This was blitzed with a strong dose of antibiotics & I was released home around a week later, it was to be another week or so before I could walk properly. Since then, I have had recurring bouts. Fortunately, my GP quickly realised that the usual small dosage wouldn't work so agreed that whenever I felt the twinges, I could ring up and ask for a script for strong dosage.

?This worked really well - although, to be fair, I also discovered the main cause to be the stress my manager was putting me under! When I left, I stopped getting twinges - almost. Now having a weak spot on my leg meant I was going to be susceptible. The slightest knock broke the skin. An injury on the site took twice as long to heal as an injury elsewhere, so there was always going to be problems.

?When my GP passed, I was forced to change surgeries (I was out of their catchment anyway), my new surgery then merged with another to become a huge supersurgery - too big to cope (not just my opinion either).

?As per my history, I managed to get an appointment when I felt first twinges but was told I hadn't got cellulitis, I didn't have the classic signs. I possibly had an infection & was given a low dose of antibiotics. I had about three weeks' worth over a few months (the new system for getting appointments doesn't seem to cater for workers).

?The following year, a large zit on my neck had me booking an appointment. On the afternoon, the zit popped but I still went along as it felt like there was more to come out. I was given a couple of boxes of low dose antibiotics. One for now & one in case it flared later.

?Lucky I had the spare box as I felt the twinges again about three months later. I managed to get an appointment by the time the pills had run out, I think it had staved off a major bout - but there was still mild redness, but not the heat ( I had worn shorts all day) so was given another week's worth. Managed to get another appointment three weeks later (2 weeks after the pills had finished), Told this was just a mild infection so given another low dose, I made an appointment at the desk on my way out. A week later & another course of low dose antibiotics.

?I had registered for the online service offered by my practice so my next attempt at an appointment would be online - the system wouldn't let me, spent over a week trying to get through, eventually abandoned all hope.

?Here I sit, having spent part of xmas day/boxing day strapped to monitors in my local A&E. Had a lovely big bag of antibiotics dripped into my arm & now on 2x500mg flucloxacillin, 4x per day. Got a 7 day course (FREE!!!!!) and have to go see my GP tomorrow - so have to try making an appointment & never mind that I'm unable to bear any weight on my leg/foot due to the excess swelling so no consideration for how I get from the car to the doctor's office!

As for my 'free' remark, every time I get pills, it costs me an hours' wages - per type of pill!, so a script for 1 box A & 1 box B costs 2 hours' wage, a script for 10 boxes A & 1 box B still only costs 2 hours' wages.

There's too much month left at the end of my money as it is so to have to spend what little I have on pills that barely scratch the surface - I do wonder if these doctors have any idea.

?Although one did tell me there is a prepayment system if you are on a lot of meds - Alternatively, you give me a 3 week supply of high powered meds (I only pay one price), I take a course, 1 week should do it) & keep the rest just in case. I'm not an idiot, I'll finish what I need and only keep full boxes ready for the next flare up.

I wish you well with your journey. I discovered the main cause was stress so changed jobs. I barely earn a living but I also don't keep getting recurring bouts.

Worth a thought?

• Posted

hi john you got wat i got except sightly worse  try to give help if poss call out doctor 1   if you are life time dependant on a medication think its free check 2   ask for blood check if not done to see if alls well 3 i agree about docs all the same probs here  hope this may help you john

• Posted

Trouble is, antibiotics (abx) only work for so long - then the bacteria become resistant & you need stronger, then stronger until they no longer work. I converted to organic dairy stuff many years ago when I realised that the low powered abx weren't working possibly as a result of the abx pumped into cows routinely to keep them healthy (organics weren't full of the stuff).

?They pulled a gallon (that's what it felt like!) of blood the other night, I believe their intention was to test for reasons why I had the raging cellulitis - it was so bad that it got me the red carpet directly into A&E, bypassing the heaving throngs who'd been waiting ages (even got to hear the odd comment "he's only just got here" "I've been waiting ages"wink..

?And this is really why I just want an extra strength dose of abx when I feel a twinge, blast the infection in its infancy before it can get a hold.

Best wishes, and good luck with the work.

• Posted

hi john    when iwas like you i was on iv for 10/14 days and if i did niot have sepsis i had his brother delirium shakes fever  etc etc not good    so r u on iv and if so how long    i am now on flucloxcicilin  for life 1000 m/n which as worked so far need that blood test  and have you any other probs with legs /health if so try to keep on top of it all  but not as easy i know  all best john
    • Posted

With my original admission, I was on IV for the week  plus regular injections of rat poison to prevent clotting.

?This time, I had the delirium, fever, shakes but not the pain and redness. I normally have the odd twinge in my shin which lets me know it's time to see the gp.

?Went to gp yesterday (as directed by A&E) and they hadn't had my notes through! so I had to explain why I was there. Also, with this system now allowing me to see my medical record, I was able to fill in a few of the gaps. My old gp knew the mild dose of abx didn't work so we had an agreement, as soon as I felt the first twinges, I could ring the surgery and get a script for max dosage straight away. I explained this to the new gp & said "this was why your colleague obviously felt I didn't have cellulitis (she actually wrote mild infection), I had come in with earliest signs to get some abx into my system".

Fortunately the low dosage they gave me was enough to push the infection back a little.

?I've managed to blag another 2 boxes of 500mg flucloxacillin (you pay the same price for one box as you would for a dozen) & an appointment for review next Tuesday. If everything's cleared by then, I'll take the rest of the week off to relax, keep my leg up & give the thing chance to fully heal. if not, I can ring up to see if they want me to open the next box & carry on with high dosage (4000mg per day) or maybe knock it down to 2000mg per day - at least then I'm in control & not worrying about the infection coming back because I have nothing.

It's so annoying because only a few years back, we were walking the dogs as much as 10 miles per day _ not bad for a fat bloke, but barely covering 100 yards without my shin feeling like it's broken just means the weight piles on!

Also, If I don't open at least 1 box, I have something in reserve to start the ball rolling should my symptoms recur.

• Posted

john in excatly same boat as yourself but i got the doc to give a box so as i had it asp cellulitus shown they call it rescue pack    but for me didnt work and ended up on ivs seems to go very fast   district nurses told me always goto a/e cause if you go to doc thats where you end up with it  dont know where you are but they have a iv team for home treatment here but did not work with me could not get cannula into vein when it blocked so back to ward for a week
    • Posted

I'm in Bucks. not heard of an iv team for home treatment. I originally rang 101 on Xmas day & they said to expect first response car. They phoned back after more than 3 hrs to tell me they hadn't any spare so could I get a taxi to a&e.

Next time, I'm just going out to catch a bus straight away!

?Suppose I should be grateful that, after giving my details, the receptionist in a&e presumably told the triage nurse to come look at my leg as it looked really bad.

?Always have problems finding a vein, I've got half a dozen bruises from where they tried - although this one nurse hit it first time - still a lot of pain when they were putting it in!

• Posted

hi john just found you in junk  yep we are in same boat sounds of it its a nasty alright  do you have probs with legs  i have compression  stockings they do a good job  calf should be 18 just been at 22 left sock for a day or two  anyways going down again put them back on     leg looked as though it was going to burst   you must try to rest leg /elevate it says i but it does work   i dont think it would effect me walking though except for arthritis   are you sure you have no other reason to slow you up/down how many times have you had it 
    • Posted

Had the full blown infection twice (requiring hospital), had a couple of times where I've gone to bed & slept forever whilst shivering uncontrollably through cold/unable to get warm but majority of times I've had twinges & gone straight to Doc for extra strength antibiotics. I've tried compression stockings but they seem to make things feel worse, even the biggest ones they do are very tight & cause my leg to throb painfully.

?The original infection was in my left shin but in recent years, there seems to have been a move towards my right shin as well - although it's early days for that side, the infection is most certainly there, I have noticed how any injury to the site takes an age to properly heal - and, of course, an injury is just what the infection wants to enable it to get inside.

• Posted

hi john had that shivers /shaking very unpleasant very near to sepsis when get that very dangerous you must leave compression sock off whilst you have it wait till infection goes then try it    yours is different with infection in shins have you got them to check/test your legs/shins you must ask then maybe out with dog again might physio to build up again  but dont do anything till you get checked over  good luck john
  • Posted

The U.S. all for the feedback. It's been 2 weeks, and although my foot is not swollen, I still have pain from walking a short distance, around the ankle area. Considering I am on my feet 12 hours a day at work, I don't thi k I am ready to go back. I am also concerned about having another "episode" while at work. I wouldnt8with the pain on my worst enemy.

• Posted

Sorry about that first sentence. Wow!!! It should have read thanks for all the feedback. Lol!!!
    • Posted

jon dont know healthy you are normally even r a1 the leg wont let you work its got to rest and you have or you will go down again
    • Posted

Only a few years ago we were walking our dogs up to 10 miles a day, mostly a gentle stroll but I the app I used for directions also included a tracker so I was starting to 'push' myself, I was 'up' to about 3.5mph - not bad for a middle aged 'porker'. (I could've gone a bit faster & further but the other half was struggling).

Now, it's the other way around. 100 yards and my shin feels like it's on the verge of breaking

• Posted

i have arthritis both knees so walking is near impossible skuttle about house just stand at door for some fresh air otherwise static not good was out with the dog daily myself and was a fisherman up and down rivers all over place sad but not down   not like some with bigger probs and pain only started realise i am disabled    bit of shock to system if you think to much
    • Posted

Yep. I still look at jobs around the house & think "I can have that fixed in 10 mins" Turns out to be more like 10 hours!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.