New diagnosis

Posted , 8 users are following.

I developed a painful itchy rash that’s burns on my neck. It’s really not thst big (maybe from just below my ear and down for about 3 inches maybe 5 and then back towards the middle of my neck about 3-5 inches. I went to work this morning and was telling a co worker about it and showed it to her she said “you need to see a doctor because it looks like shingles” so I did an “online doctor visit since it was faster then trying to get into my regular doctor.  After getting my coworker to take a picture of it at the request of the doctor, I sent him the picture and sure enough he said it was “shingles”. I’ve never been diagnosed with it before even though my gma has been. My question is this. Why does my WHOLE neck hurt even though it’s only in my left side over to the middle of my neck AND it itches like crazy! Also I’m soooo tired and can’t stop yawning and I have no energy. Does anyone know why?

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

You need to go to urgent care or similar NOW. To get anti-viral medication that needs to be started no later than 72 hrs. from first sign of shingles. This is to help shorten and minimize the shingles outbreak.

There are many here better than I to help, but the tiredness and lack of energy is symptom of shingles.

• Posted

Because the virus is activated. The chicken pox.  It's sort of like getting Chicken pox again but these are bigger deeper larger blisters. The fever and aches and fatigue seems to be worse with shingles than what I remember with chicken pox.   

My husband feels tired sometimes a week or more before the pain and blisters start. 

Not sure what course of treatment you're going to do but my husband takes 

1000 mg B-12. 3 times day

1000 mg lysine 3 times a day

1000 mg Vit c 

3-5 x day

Olive leaf capsules

I make a paste of raw honey and olive leaf powder with tea tree oil also. I apply that on the blisters and that makes it go away a lot faster.   He took nothing the first time he had it because he was away on work. Didn't know it was shingles and had no doctor to visit.   When he found out it  was shingles from the Pharmacist it was very sore very deep pain.  Something he doesn't want to go through again. All he was given was ointment  so he starts the vitamins when he feels this comming

• Posted

The doctor put me on Valaciclovir tab 1 gm three times a day and said there was no cream to help with the itching . He said tonfet plenty of rest and plenty of fluids
  • Posted

Hi Kerri. So sorry to hear that you have shingles. If I were you I would go in person asap to see your doctor. You will need meds antivirals within 72 hours and you will need opioids because the pain that comes with shingles is unbelievable. The fatigue you are experiencing is part of it. I have had it as I do now off and on for 2 years. Please keep us posted. Diane. 
    • Posted

The doctor put me on Valaciclovir tab 1 gm three times a day and said there was no cream to help with the itching . He said tonfet plenty of rest and plenty of fluids. The wind has  been blowing HARD the last 2 days and it’s 35 degrees. I work at a bank in the drive thru that faces the west and we get all the wind and rain and precipitation like an intense tunnel thru our drive thru. I have been soooo cold the last 2 days and chilling to the bone and didn’t know if that was the cold and wind or the shingles.

• Posted

Kerri you need to take off work and rest and sleep. Shingles is hard to fight and I have found that I have to fight it with everything that I can. Rest..drink fluid.. Sleep. Being in a cold draft will keep you sick longer and can make you worse and as long as the blisters are breaking out you are contagious. Take care of you and try to stay stress free. Diane
  • Posted

I take Benadryl and it saves me its one thing to survive the horrid pain and all the other mess but itching is just too much😥. 

• Posted

I plan on taking off tomorrow but that’s all I can afford. I got the flu and bronchitis the first two weeks  of the new year and had to be off almost the entire 2 weeks and about two weeks ago a had a stomach bug that lasted 2 or 3 days  I don’t have much left for the rest of the year. But I am doing everything the doc said. I just didn’t know I would be so tired 
  • Posted

Dear Kerri,

I am so sorry you are going through this awful disease! My heart goes out to you!

Hopefully, you were sent home.

It is contagious to anyone who has not had chickenpox including pregnant women with their unborn children.

Shingles is one of the most painful afflictions of mankind. It hibernates on the spinal cord, waits until your immunity wanes, and then attacks via your nervous system. It is also circulating throughout your entire body. The lancinating burning pain of the nervous system is difficult to control by over the counter pain medications. You absolutely need to be on an Antiviral for seven days.

You should be home in bed, as the pain worsens with any movement or activity or exercise. You need rest and sleep. Please eat lots of fruits and vegetables.

You will probably need a prescription for an Opioid and Gabapentin. Ice and cool compresses help with the pain and itching, as well. Avoid heat!

Lidocaine creams or Solarcaine with Aloe can help with the pain and itching too.

Besides the severe pain and rash, individuals can also have the following symptoms preceding or during the days after the onset of the rash:

Headache, fever, chills and sweating, aches and pains, malaise, fatigue, exhaustion. Fatigue and exhaustion can continue long after the rash is a distant memory.

Please also know that the pain often can get worse as the first week progresses. I advise you to get prescription medications before the weekend.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States. I have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles every 3-5 weeks in my right ear for the past 21 years and twenty-one years and twice in my right eye.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I am so sorry you have to go thru this as well. Yesterday morning I got on an antiviral after the doctor diagnosed me. As the day went in, I got more and more tired and chilled. I didn’t know If that was normal. My gma used to get shingles and I had no idea how miserable she was.
  • Posted

Moral support to you, Kerri.  I am new to the nightmare of shingles, too.  We'll get through this together.

• Posted

Hope you get better soon too Yogi. I'm too have good and not soo good days, but we'll get through this in Jesus Name. 

Have a very good day today.

• Posted

Hi Kerri, I had the same type of symptoms since last Monday, I went to the doctor right the way and he prescribed Valacyclovir 1000 mg, my rash was on my left side over the middle of my neck for the first 3 days but the pain was on my whole neck, shoulder and after the 4th day the pain/numbness was on both side of my belly and my whole left arm. Now a have at my chest and front neck and a little bit on the left side of my face. Looks like when you got this shingles in the neck it's the worse because the nerve in the middle of the neck is connect with all nerves of our body,  Hope and praying for this to get better soon, sometimes the pain other symptoms are so bad. Wishing you the quickly recovery too. 

• Posted

Praying for your speedy healing
    • Posted

Thank you Kerry, same too you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.