New diagnosis

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I was just diagnosed with Barrett Esophagus and heital hernia two days ago during a routine endoscopy. Never had any Gerd symptoms and am only 31 years old. I have been in a panic since diagnosis and cry all day. I feel like it is a death sentence and am scared silly. Had anyone else been diagnosed in their 30s? How is everyone coping or what kind of actions are you taking to keep it from progressing? I have two small children and can’t imagine ever leaving themsad any advice would be appreciated, thanks. 

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I do have a quick question, my dr. Did not say how big my segment was but did say that it’s not that bad. When I received my pathology report he only took one biopsy of that area, which confuses me because everywhere I have read that it is at least 4, or am I wrong? 
    • Posted

Hi there Vera - I have also heard you are supposed to get 4 biopsies. I certainly had 4 biopsies done but you should go back and ask your doctor. On a more upbeat note, I read something today - a press release from a company called PENTAX Medical which is presenting their new next generation cryoballoon ablation product at a Conference in the USA today and tomorrow. Clinical studies sounded promising in that apparently 90% of BE patients were presented 2 years later with not only no Dysplasia, but no intestinal metaplasia whatsoever. In addition, as many have commented, the risk of any BE sufferer getting Esophageal Cancer anyway is apparently less than 1%. I certainly wouldn’t like the odds the other way round!!! Also check out the YouTubes from Dr Martin Banks and - separately- from Dr Ian Penman - They are renowned experts in this field of BE and their commentary should be reassuring for all of us.  In the meantime, progress and new research are ongoing all the time, so I am sure there’s more improvement to hope for in the years ahead. All the best, Bob
  • Posted

I hope things are going better for you, but I want you to know that I understand. Even though I realize that this is not a death sentence, it does change the way you go about your daily activities.  I still have not found any medicines that keep the food down, so I do not eat at work and no longer eat in public. So it has been a bit depressing for me, but I am still hopeful that something will work. Wishing you and all of us the best, as I know this is a fairly rare condition.  Or so it seems to be.  
  • Posted

I’ve barret esophagus also I don’t even remember how many years? May be about 10 years now. Initially I’d took some medications but, it made me sick ever since I took no medicine for so long I don’t even know how long already.  I do  cough a lot and food feel stuck sometimes. I just let it go!

my suggestion is don’t give the disease the energy and power to worry yourself sick! Instead give your energy to WELLNESS!! I take GOD’s  pharmacy !! Eat the rainbow color of fruits and vegetables especially red fruits and green vegetables! I do Tai Chi/Qigong and someYoga! Juicing is wonderful!

May God Bless you and all of us!!!

• Posted

Don't be scared, it can take YEARS for Barrett's to advance into something dangerous, you just have to be smart and get control of what you can control.  First, you want to kill all sugar and carbs, NONE in your diet and get plenty of exercise.  It makes a huge difference in your gut.  Find a probiotic that works.  Sleep on an incline, put blocks under the head of your bed to create a good incline to keep acid in your stomach.  Make sure you are doing everything you can to manage your diet and control trigger foods.  I have a hiatal hernia with the same horrible symptoms.  Try eating bananas and raw organic sauerkraut (not together) regularly.  The enzymes can reset the stomach acid balance.  Research ANY and ALL medications the doctors prescribe for you.  Before you consider hernia surgery, make sure you research outcomes and study your surgeon carefully.  Warning:  surgery does not always correct the problem and can leave some patients worse.

• Posted

I was in my thirties when diagnosed!

I am now 80 years of age !

Regular monitoring and a little Argon beam ablation early on plus the use of proton pump inhibitors have kept me fit and well ! 

Fear is your problem , please try to reduce your stress ! 

I’m sure you will be fine . xxx

• Posted

Thank you John!! This has given me great hope! I actually just had a repeat endoscopy done and all my biopsies came back negative for intestinal metaplasia. So I’m hopefully my segment is short enough that I will be able to manage it for years to come. I’m am so happy that you have done so well! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.