New diagnosis. Cipro?

Posted , 3 users are following.

After 12 years of IBS and a change in symptoms the last 3 months I have now been diagnosed with diverticulitis. Had a colonoscopy done a month ago and ended up in pain after. Went to 2 different ER's both dismissed me with gas/constipation it took seeing the supervising gi dr at the practice to spot the diverticulitis on the CT. So I was prescribed cipro and flagyl for 10 days. I'm concerned about the cipro it looks like there has been a lot of warnings about this drug and seems that it should only be used now for life threatening serious infections or if nothing else works. Should I be worried about this drugs side effects? Also the gi dr who did my colonoscopy never told me I had Diverticulosis or diverticulitis. I've had numerous ct scans and scopes over the course of 12 years not one dr has seen this. Is it possible the ineptitude of the gi dr who recently did the scope caused this? Thank you.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Did you have fever /pain and bloody musous discharge when wiping  and elvated white blood cell count? Did they take your blood counts?  which sent you to doctor? Thats what I had which sent me to ER and they did a CtScan w/dye which showed the divertisulisis I was prescribed Flagy and Bactrim but  I had to stop my flagy after a full 5 days because I could NOT handle the side affects which affected my head with bad dizziness, pressure and weird feeling I couldnt descibe then my head jerk and I stopped it. So I am on only one antibotoc for 14 days which is Bactrim. Are you saying you had no symptoms at all until the colonscopy?
  • Posted

After rereading your post it sounds possible. I can't get one done for 8 weeks because my gi doc told me it can cause a proforation and bleeding if I was active diverticulisis which I am 

• Posted

White blood cell was one point over the normal range which is "trivial" according to my primary. I have other iga inflammatory makers in my blood. The ct post colonoscopy is showing Diverticulosis with inflammation. There's no blood but my constpation and pain got progressively worse along with trouble passing gas. Basically things are swollen and and I'm starting to back up. GI gave me the antibiotics said if that doesn't work it could be something called segmental Colitis Associated with Diverticulosis and will treat that with a IBD drug. I had symptoms before the colonoscopy but I have never experienced pain like this before. My immediate concern is this black box label for cipro. I already was diagnosed with tendinitis in my right elbow.

• Posted

well did you start the Flagy? Anything is better than nothing. 
    • Posted

I started them both but I stopped the cipro due to my concerns. I'm noticing stiffness in my knees and calves. Plus I'm a mailmanfor a living risking a blown Achilles' tendon is not an option even if it's a rare event

• Posted

Is there any other antibiotics I can take besides the cipro/flagyl combo? I'm allergic to penicillin. I'm starting to notice a pin prick/Itchy sensation and dizziness. Not sure if this is the flagyl cause I stopped the cipro until I can get a hold of the dr.

• Posted

There are other antibiotics you can take I take 400m metronidazole 3 a day for 7 days . I have DD and colitis plus IBS it's a terrible thing to have I started taken Bioglan daily tummy cleanse and 20 billion Acidophilus and fingers cross I feel so much better .

• Posted

I'm taking the metrodinazole right now but I'm having pin prick sensations and the pamphlet says to contact the dr cause they may become permanent. The cipro I'm concerned cause of the fdas recent black box warning for people with tendinitis or neuropathy which I have both. Plus I have a penecillin allergy. It's always tough for a dr to find me the right antibiotic so I tend to only take them when they are absolutely necessary. If there's a chance my body can fight it off on its own then that's my first option.

• Posted

Did blood work show yours was infected?  I'm seriously alleric to peniccilin and everything in that family thats why I'm doing Bactrim for 14 days. I stoped the flagy after 5 full days on it and I did get the pin pricks a few was pretty painful but dont have it now...You might do good on the bactrim I have to take it twice a day for 14 days.

• Posted

Blood work shows my white blood cell count one point over the normal which most drs consider it to be nothing. Does just the bactrim cover the full spectrum of bacteria or does another antibiotic need to be taken along with it? I don't have a fever just the increasing abdominal pain for the past month and inflammation on my ct scan.

• Posted

have no ideal, I took 5 full days of Flagy then stopped it couldnt handle the brain head side affects.  and now the bactrim..My white blood count was over  11,000 maybe yours is not infected. Did you have the horrid pain with it and any bloody discarge?  Are you still on flagy and cipro?  Did u call doctor to give you something else? 
    • Posted

I think one person on here was just on Augumentine
    • Posted

Actually my white blood cell counts are fine. It's whatever she did with that scope. My monocytes are high and my iga numbers are high which indicates my immune system is fighting something in my gi tract or respiratory tract. So with the positive ct scan showing the Diverticulosis and inflammation the thought is its diverticulitis. Augmentin is a penecillin derived drug.

• Posted

Friday night I went to the er trying to get relief from the pain and they sent me home. Said my WBC was fine. I was in pain all last night this morning I felt sick like I was going to have diarrhea but I couldn't get it out just horrendous pain in my pelvic area/belly button area. I got the stool out but towards the end I had some mucous (not uncommon) but this time there's blood in it. Now I have gone to the bathroom a couple times but each time there's a little blood. Should I go back to the er? Seems like they don't take me seriously or think I'm making these things up because they don't see on my recent ct scan what my gi dr spotted. I'm frustrated can't eat and in pain. I was never in pain until this colonoscopy and I've never had blood in my stool since this colonoscopy.

• Posted

JonBNF did the Ct Scan ever show you actually had Diverticulitis? Maybe you just passing stuff they used for the colonoscopy or all that stuff you had to take to get it done that cleansed your bowels out 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.