New diagnosis of Angina and Bisoprolol

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone

Unfortunately diagnosed with Angina about 3 weeks ago and now on on Aspirin, Statins and the dreaded Bisoprolol. Well here is my dilemma! I consider myself to be a fit 59 year old who cycles 40 miles plus, swims, hill walks and undertakes regular Cardio activities at the gym and after experiencing a pressure sensation in the centre of my chest, not really pain but pressure I thought I better get it checked out. The result Angina..

Still awaiting Angio and Echocardiogram, feel well apart from the anxiety.

My resting heart rate was always between 50 - 60 sat relaxed on an evening and now its dropped to about 40-45 and lower in sleep. I have only taken 3 Bisoprolol 1.25mg over 3 days and this was the result. I have had one good training session in that 3 day period (2nd day) and I struggled to get my heart rate up to 70%. 

I have spoken to my GP after concerns that the original prescription 2.5mg may be a problem. I am so glad she agreed to reduce it to 1.25mg. To add my BP is around 113/68.

I did brisk 3 mile dog walk on the flat and my heart rate was 75 - 83 bpm

Sorry to go on a bit but I am totally confused with all whats going on and just wondered if anyone else has had similar experience.

Thank you for reading

Cube

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

(Sorry for the double post my last post accidently posted)Have you had a second opinion on your diagnosis? Bisoprolol is a terrible drug if not needed and for an active person like you it will be a dramatic change in your life although youve been diagnosed so youll have to be on it. I'm having the same problem at the gym, it's hard to get my heart rate up and burn calories no matter how hard I go and my energy levels are not the same at all!! Bisoprolol is a life changer for sure and once your on it for awhile its one of the hardest drugs to get off and to get used to!, Wish you best of luck

• Posted

Hi Victor,

Thanks for getting in touch, it was good to read your reply.

I am definitely going to have a discussion with my GP and request another alternative med. It's hard to find any positive comments about Bisoprolol. I seriously don't want to end up on these for eternity. I know there are alternatives, they are just more expensive.

It's so weird having your exercise heart rate suppressed and it takes some working out. After my gym session today I felt a bit of a fake even though I know I was putting the effort in.

Thanks again for getting in touch.

Regards Cube.

• Posted

Try get your GP to allow you to hold off taking these until you have had the other 2 tests.  You will be told to stop taking them before the tests anyway. As stated they will slow you down to a crawl and are difficult to get off. I took them for 3 years following a heart attack. It took me a further year to get off them. This is the best I have felt since my HA. I am not a doctor but what you report I don't think you need them just yet. Maybe cut down the exercise until until after your tests. I believe my Heart attack happened because I was doing too much not too little I went exercise daft for 2 years after taking early retirement 

• Posted

I have been them for 7 days and already starting to feel the effects. Aches around the kidney, tiredness creeping in and my heart rate is low very, low at times. I was thinking about stopping them now!
    • Posted

If you do stop do a very subtle wean. Even after a couple of days of taking them you will feel a nasty withdrawal so cut down gradually
    • Posted

It's hard to work out what gradual should be. 1.25mg every other day perhaps. I was talking to a guy who I know who is a very fit guy, Iron man kinda of fit and he had just gone onto them for high BP and he is knackered, he stopped taking them 2 days ago due to the effect they had on him, energy levels plumitted. Not a happy chap.

• Posted

You should be able to stop them now after only 7 days of taking the lowest dose available. The problem is when people have been on higher doses for a long time. Just stop taking them and see how you feel. Doctors are not always right and you know your own body better than them. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.