New Disulfram User - Advise or stories welcome

Posted , 4 users are following.

I started Disulfram ( Antabuse ) two weeks ago, after having a few detoxes in hospital over the last two years. Has anyone experiences, good or bad using Disulfram, or experience to bad reactions due to alcohol in food etc ?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I made a comment on another thread Graham. Do NOT, under any circumstances, be tempted to have a drink with Antabuse. It can not only make you sick but can be extremely dangerous. I am surprised it hasn't been banned.

If you don't drink, you will be ok. You could get reactions from anything containing alcohol including mouthwash and even aftershave on your skin. They won't be as severe as drinking alcohol but be aware of them.

When wine is used in cooking, the alcohol sometimes fully evaporates but there may be a small amount of content left, depending on how long it is cooked for.

• Posted

Thanks PaulTurner1964, I had some pasta earlier never thinking, I took a slight reaction then my wife read the label and discovered it had wine in tha sauce !. It obviously doesnt take much to cause a bad reaction !  I'm ok but don't feel great at all ! I will be more careful from now !
  • Posted

Wow, Antabuse.  I have been on Antabuse off and on for 31 years.  I have drank on antabuse. The first time at the age of 23 I tried a few sips and I thought I would die.  Just wanted to test it.  Face turned bright red, could not breath, panic stricken, throwing up, wanted to die it was literally the worst feeling I have ever had in my entire life.  Drank on it many more times thinking it was out of my system and same freaking reaction.  It is a serious fatal drug if you drink on it.  Sometimes I drank and most of it was out of my system and drank 3 beers everything okay than bam.  It kicked in.  I was a stupid kid back them and a real alcoholic.  I than used antabuse to come off a drunk.  Only way I could.  You must wait till all alcohol is out of system for sure which is hard to judge.  3 days maybe.  Everyone is different.  When they say wait 2 weeks after taking last antabuse pill was bull for me.  I would have to wait at least 3 to 4 weeks to play it safe.  I played around with it taking 1 pill and drinking 3 days later cause I heard it took 3 days to get 1 pill out of system.  Bad Bad advice.  In Fort Wayne Indiana they force you to take antabuse if you have a number of dui's .  I think that is criminal here.  They might as well give a severe alcoholic a suicide pill.  I hear alot of stories of people dieing but you will not read about that in the newspaper but if you work for the antabuse program you hear horror stories all the time.  I still will take antabuse for me even today if I have to cause of all the reactions I've had I play it really safe.  But I only learned this threw testing the waters many times.  I will also cause severe liver damage if you drink on it.  I basically can not believe I am still alive but it totally takes thoughts of drinking out of my mind when I take it.  You just have to keep taking it.  I got long term periods of not drinking otherwise I would be dead for sure if I did not have antabuse and long terms of not drinking reinforced the belief that life is so much better with out alcohol.  I believe the long term drawback to antabuse is that you don't have to work on the reason you drink and you don't develope the strength to pass up a drink when it is not in the system.  I have attended AA for 23 Years and many times want for social reasons and did not really work on myself continuously evertday cause all I had to do was take the pill.  Except I had conseling for 15 years, sponsor, psych doctor 4 long term treatment centers and aa pretty much on a daily basis.  I have an underlying condition of mental health problems that caused me to want to drink no matter what I did to help myself.  Post traumatic stress, severe aniexty that will never go away,  Psychotic breaks with reality whenever I got about 9 months sober because of repressed memories of severe sexual abuse and violence from my father, uncle, grandfather, rapes in AA and out of AA, abuse from predators in aa that stole from me and also bad relationships that I chose to have because I thought abuse was love and men that didn't abuse were weak.  One guy stranguled me to the point of unconsiousness and I won a strangulation case against him and still took him back.  I did not drink to have a party.  I drank because I hated myself and wanted to go unconsious to have peace of mind.  Hence black out drinker since the age of 14 always.  My last diagnosis from 2 different therapist was dissociation identity disorder which take years to work on trying to be a single mother and provide an income and all the counseling, doctor appointments and raising a child along with having to deal with my parents continuous mental mind games to keep me sick so I would not put my father in jail for life and they refused to support my counseling or talk about my repeated suicide attempts only when sober.  I guess 2 attempts out of 9 I was drinking.  I am 54 years old now and go to alonon which taught me the most valuable lesson that I am no longer a victim for more abuse but a volunteer..  My point of the whole story is I drink to get rid of the pain of a life in hell. I highly recommend Gabe Mate' on youtube.  He has the leading edge on addictions and more recent important information on severe alcoholism.  There is more to it than not drinking cause I haven't met a real  alcoholic yet that wasn't self medicating for childhood trauma or trauma in war.  Trauma leads to brain damage.  I am taking the herb Kudzu and it is working better than anything else I have tried.  I continue to work on my alcoholism today because I raised a beautiful daughter that is in her 6th year at Indiana University and will be a Midwife in a couple more years.  She has a very healthy self esteem, a wonderful relationship with a non abusive man, works as a waitress and in a hospital supporting herself.  I will not cause her pain to the best of my ability because of I know what it's like to be raised by an alcoholic psychopath.  I was sober for 16 years a few relaspes not long while she was growing up and became a drug and alcohol counselor for a year but relasped and quit.  I really feel that if you learned love was torture and abuse in the first 7 years of life you will have to work till the day you die to change your beliefs or else go back to alcohol or the substance of your choice.  I have been told many times by professionals that they can't believe I am still alive.  My moral of the story is for me I have to work daily on my problems and if I take antabuse I am risking my life to not drink cause alcohol is my devil indisquise and I want to continue to show my daughter my love for her in the only way I know how and not drink and stay away from predators who love to get a woman like me that doesn't want anyone to feel the pain I continue to live with.  But spend a lot of happy brief moment of pure happiness when I don't pick up.  Lengthy story but it helps me more than you to help anyone in pain. 
    • Posted

So sorry you have suffered so much Candis, and congratualtions on doing such a good job of raising your daughter well against all the odds!

You have been abused by family, by people who should have looked after you and even by the people who should have been treating your problem. You have been abused by a messed up treatment system which operates through blame and accusation (as all people with alcohol problems are). You have had it instilled in your mind that this problem is YOUR doing when you simply inherited a horrible vulnerability to alcohol. The vast majority of people enjoy alcohol safely while the minority who can't, because of their physiological make-up are treated terribly by society. This is 2015 and alcohol problems are still treated as a moral problem rather than a medical one. It's time the world woke up to the truth and then people with this awful condition could get the appropriate treatment.

• Posted

Thank you so much Paul.  It made me cry cause you are one of the few that see my strength.  I will make a difference cause I am on a road less traveled and you are on the road with me.  Thank you again for your support. 
    • Posted

I am not on the same road, Candis smile I am an independent alcohol treatment practitioner, but I have worked in this area for many years and understand people with alcohol problems smile
    • Posted

No Paul I know you are not an alcoholic and an alcohol counselor or practitioner.  .  I mean you are the same road as me to change the way alcoholics are treated and try to change the stigma of alcoholics being morally defected and bad people.  You are helping to reducate society to new ways of treatment in 2015.  Right.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.