New drug.

Posted , 3 users are following.

does anybody know about this new drug for osteoporosis? I have read a bit about it and apparently it can increase bone density rather than just stop it getting any worse. I am really hopeful as I have a frighteningly low T score in my hips. -3.3 does anybody else have a T score that low? I’ve already broken one hip so need all the help I can get! Can’t remember the full name of the drug but sure it starts with 'romeo' and ends in 'mab' .

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

If it is denosumab you need to stay clear of it. You may have heard of it as Prolia. Lots of info on line.

• Posted

no. its romosozumab. stupid name but supposed to be more effective than AA. Read good study reports on denosumab. why stay clear of it. That's the one I thought I was going to get it before they decided to put me on zolondronate.

• Posted

Because you'll have to stay on it indefinitely - risk of rebound osteoporosis and multiple fractures after discontinuing. Disappointing because it did seem to work so well doctors thought their patients only needed it for a couple of years. I will look up the other one, but if it's brand new probably wise to wait for the as yet unknown side effects to creep out of the woodwork before risking it.

• Posted

From the New England Journal of Medicine: To the Editor: In their report on ARCH (the Active-Controlled Fracture Study in Postmenopausal Women with Osteoporosis at High Risk), Saag and colleagues (Oct. 12 issue)1 report that postmenopausal women with osteoporosis who received 12 months of treatment with romosozumab, an antisclerostin antibody, followed by alendronate had a significantly lower risk of fracture than did those who received alendronate alone.1 However, there was a higher rate of serious cardiovascular adverse events in the romosozumab group than in the alendronate group (2.5% vs. 1.9%), including a higher rate of cardiac ischemic and cerebrovascular events (0.8% vs. 0.3%).

• Posted

thanks. With my t score i think i would risk the 0.6 higher heart risk. Here's hoping it becomes available on NhS after trials are finished.

• Posted

Yes, it's definitely something for you to consider. Do let us know how you get on. It will help others as they grapple with similar issues. Good Luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.