New drugs for my wife

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all im new to the group, so thought id introduce both myself and wife.

my wife has epilepsy rather than me but thought id seek & give advise and guidance from this forum.

My wife has both peti mal and grand mal from the age of 3 following a head injury. She has taken most drugs over the last 45 years and is often treated like a test subject.

After a number of years with well controlled epilepsy there was a major change 3 years ago her grand mal fits went from 1 a year to 1 a month and continued up to a few times a week. Her peti mal episodes have also increase to massive proportions.she has been trying a number of different things to get her under control again. She takes Epilim, Tegretol, clonazepam, cetrizine and more recently tried Keppra which had no effect. now on Zonismide to see if this helps.

We have found that Keppra made her very sleep more than the other drugs and had no effect on her condition

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

...And welcome to the forum!  I noticed the subject was in the Epilepsy category so I thought I would read your message, since I am subscribed to this one and many more. I suffer from Epilepsy, but mine are than just Grand Mal and Peti Mal. Mine were brought on by an accident in my early 20's which left me with a damaged nerve system called Focal Segmental Dystonia, over the years that has become worse and re-diagnosed last year as Generalized Dystonia, basically I have no control with spasms and cramps anywhere in the body. This led to Epileptic Seizures and Functional Episodes (These get confused by some consultants, because they look like a person is having an Epileptic seizure, apart from there is around 28 variations). The treatment for Functional Episodes is totally different than Epileptic Seizures.

I see you stated there was a major change 3 years ago, was this just in the periods of seizures or medications as well? I know medications require changing after time, because the body becomes immune to them. I take 1,800mg of Epilim a day, Clonazepam and Artane - Paramedics get confused by my Epilepsy and Dystonia because symptoms are very similar.

My Epilepsy at the moment is not controlled either, but this is due to Tramadol for pain relief.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

My wifes changes were out of the blue, no medication changes just suddenly the epilepsy changed.

She takes 2000Mg epilim, 3mg of clonazepam, 800mg tegretol, and we are slowly bringing zonismide up to 200mg.

I assume she was diagnosed properly when she was three. It does take a toll on her and is not good for the rest of the family. When the epilepsy is controlled life is good but at the moment its a bit of a knightmare three fits in the last 2 weeks .... 

• Posted

The Epilim she takes is the highest dose, any higher and she would adverse effects. Do you know if shes on the standard Epilim or the slow-release type?

Epilim is made by various companies, and the prices vary considerably.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

She has the controlled release epilim she has the max does of tegretol as well.

its just annoynig that nerologists change the drug regimes around and then tell you to come back a few months later... to let them know what happened.

• Posted

Is your wife still on Keppra at all? That can cause seizures with some people. Amongst the following side-effects.

You should check with your doctor immediately if any of these side effects occur when taking levetiracetam:

More common

Aggressive or angry

anxiety

change in personality

chills

cough or hoarseness

crying

depersonalization

diarrhea

dry mouth

euphoria

fever

general feeling of discomfort or illness

headache

hyperventilation

irregular heartbeats

irritability

joint pain

loss of appetite

lower back or side pain

mental depression

muscle aches and pains

nausea

painful or difficult urination

paranoia

quick to react or overreact emotionally

rapidly changing moods

restlessness

shaking

shivering

shortness of breath

sleepiness or unusual drowsiness

sore throat

stuffy or runny nose

sweating

trouble sleeping

unusual tiredness or weakness

vomitingLess commonBloody nose

burning, crawling, itching, numbness, prickling, "pins and needles", or tingling feelings

clumsiness or unsteadiness

discouragement

dizziness or lightheadedness

double vision

earache

feeling of constant movement of self or surroundings

feeling sad or empty

increase in body movements

loss of bladder control

loss of memory

mood or mental changes

outburst of anger

pain or tenderness around the eyes and cheekbones

problems with memory

redness or swelling in the ear

seizures

sensation of spinning

shakiness and unsteady walk

shakiness in the legs, arms, hands, or feet

tightness of the chest

tiredness

trembling or shaking of the hands or feet

trouble concentrating

unsteadiness, trembling, or other problems with muscle control or coordination

• Posted

Hi,

Some drugs take about 3-4 weeks to work fully, which is understandable, but if your Consultant Neurologist Is saying come back in a couple of months, and there has been no change since you last went 4 weeks ago, I would ring their secretaries or booking Office and book an appointment before that time.

My Neurologist even tried 6 months with me at one point, I was in agony with pain. So, I got them to drop th period to 3 months with still no effect, so I am now on 10 weeks but the drug they are giving me is for Dystonic problems.

Don't let them say when you can see a neurologist when there has been no change within a month of a new drug being introduced.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

We see the consultant every 6 months but i have been emailing her office every other week with updates. I believe that we have a visit planned for Feb to discuss the tablet changes
  • Posted

I have had epilepsy since puberty all was okay until Docs muck around with doseage. I have been on phenobarbitone  and it has suited me.  No problem then.

Yes the problem is new drugs they decide to put me on aren't suitable so more seizures.

I am taking too many drugs for my liking so I took what I was on before Docs changed them I am slowly cutting down the kepppra.  We know whats good for us

and what isn't but do they listen No Way!!  get wife on what she was on before.

Unless they can harm her but seizures can harm us also.

Good Luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.