New for me, may be pre-diabetic, how best to manage it

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I have been overweight for about 18 years with gradual increases over time, I now weigh 18 stone and I really struggle as I am on anti psychotic medication which not only changes my metabolism, slows it, but causes my food cravings to go through the roof and also demotivates me to a large extent. 

Today my surgery phoned to say my GP wants to speak to me about a recent test and eventually I got it out of them that it was over my glucose levels, which I knew straight away relate to diabetes, and if too high can cause its onset, so I am seeing him Friday as I also find I have slightly sticky urine which I understand can also be a sign of it developing.

I am very intrepid, fortunately I spoke to a very kind chap on social media who told me you can be "pre" but not go on to develop it full blown if you lose weight and watch what you eat and also my sister informed me that its unlikely I would have to inject, there are usually tablets you can take these days.

So slightly relieved but still determined to get straight on and do something about it, out came all the healthy vegetable and rice based recipes, and I did up a diet sheet for my Gp to say which foods I am cutting down on, carbs and sugars and some dairy, what exercise I plan to take regularly and a basic one week diet sheet with the foods I shall be regularly consuming.

I'm 58 and know these things often come on in later life especially if like me, prone to weight gain.

I won't know where I stand till after Friday and have seen doc, but has anyone any advice?  It would be warmly recieved.  Thank you, Fiona

0 likes, 2 replies

Report / Delete

2 Replies

• Posted

It is not only a question of what you eat but when you eat  it. Do not miss a meal because of trying to lose weight, this will do you more harm than good. Eat a little and often. Hope this helps. Let me know how you got on with doctor today.

Sarah

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Sarah and thanks for your response. Ive seen doc and it turns out it was a false alarm but i know im still overweight and lethargic so am going ahead with the lifestyle changes effective from today. I do so agree with you about not missing meals and a littel and often, only way for me to go on really as cravings from my depot injection mean i get hungry every two hours so only way is to limit the amounts. Thanks and take care, Fiona
      Report / Delete Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up