New Glasses

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a botched cataract surgery a few years ago on my left eye. This resulted in another surgery to remove the remnants, two RD's, and finally corrective surgery. The original iol was the wrong type and inserted crooked. In the fifth surgery by another doctor the correct iol was used and re-inserted correctly. However the results were not good. I had only degraded vision.I delayed surgery on my right eye as long as I could and finally decided to do the surgery on my right eye about three months ago. That surgery went well. My surgeon used an iol that gave me good near vision and it does. The doctor said he thought this would be best considering the condition of my left eye. I could see great up to about three feet and then everything would blur. After two months the doctor said I could get glasses. The prescription was -4.00 for both eyes. I got my glasses about two weeks ago and could see very good with them. I knew I would need to allow an adjustment period but everything seemed great the first week. In the second week I started getting nasty headaches especially over my left eye. I would wake up feeling good and energetic and about three hours later was exhausted and had to lay down. These symptoms progressed and were getting worse through the week.

Yesterday I took the glasses off and felt somewhat better but that left me with my limited vision. Amazingly my vision seems better than before the glasses. Today I woke, felt good, went grocery shopping, and on the way home decided to retry my new glasses. Within minutes I felt off balance, like my eye was pulling to the side, and nauseous. I removed the glasses and slowly I am feeling better. Tomorrow I will call my eye surgeon. Yesterday I took my glasses to where I had them made and they checked the glasses and told me they were as my prescription called for.

The only explanation I can think of is my eyes were not finished adjusting and now I may need a different prescription. Also, I found my vision is now better, not good, than the day I got the glasses. Commends appreciated, thanks.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

It would seem the glasses may be wrong prescription. You say you took them back to where they were made but is that were you saw an optometrist to measure the prescription? Definitely seek another opinion as perhaps that prescription is completely off. Would you know if you have astigmatism? If wearing glasses to correct that there is an adjustment period to get used to that.Have you considered contact lenses? Those tend to give a better correction than glasses - especially if eyes aren't balanced. Is there a big difference now between your RE and LE prescription?

• Posted

I agree with you. my guess is your vision improved and now your glasses might be too strong. too strong is as bad as too weak.

• Posted

also agree with above about Rx being off, but you could also be having dry eye problems. are you currently using preservative free natural tears like systane products? dry eye is very common after surgery of the eye...i tend to get headaches or scratchy eyes if i cut back on natural tears, it also effects my visual outcomes later in the day, eye strain.

ive just had an iol exchange procedure done on thursday and dr had me using not only Rx drops, but natural tears 8xday to help in healing...could be a solution, and one easy to fix 😃

• Posted

GOOD ADVICE. i use refresh plus preservative free. I also got a punctal plug put in my surgical eye.

• Posted

ohhh tell me about the plug. im considering the benefits, but curious if there are any issues

• Posted

no issues with the punctal plugs. i opted for dissolvable. you replace them every 4-6 months. i can tell a difference as it gets near time to replace. They insert them in office. takes like 1 minute. i cannot feel them in. highly recommend

• Posted

ohhh thats fantastic ... would save a bundle on OTC drops + time 😃

• Posted

Hi julielyn - there is someone on the forums I have pointed your way (soks). He is interested in details on your situation with exchange. Did you have this done in USA? Anyways hope you don't mind. Told him to look for your thread iol exchange.

Thanks. Sue.An

• Posted

sight trust is located in sunrise ( sawgrass mills area) fl usa dr shatz is the director ceo and surgeon i highly recommend him

• Posted

Thanks for such a quick reply. Going to pass that info onto soks. Sure hoping there will be a good solution for him.

How ate you coming along? Hoping improvement - even though it may be slowly. Take care.

• Posted

sue an, today being day5 i woke up to clear vision i was able to drive and its overcast, no need for sunglasses. in fact the light has not been an issue at all. i will be driving up friday for one week follow up( which is 3 hrs one way) ...im reading 20/32 line on my printed out vision chart in my office at home ...guessing at 1/2 of the 20/25 line without additional light source

im extremely pleased and cant wait to sleep without the patch!!

• Posted

so very pleased - you so deserve better and glad things progressing at a good pace. I reached put to soks by message and it is sight trust (same clinic) he has set up for May. Hoping he can get a proper diagnosis and get some peace too. He certainly was happy to hear your great review of that place.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.