New here, 3 weeks of muscle twitching after taking Wellbutrin.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm trying desperately to find answers as to why I begin twitching after taking a generic form of Wellbutrin . It all started with twitching on my right thumb however I'm not sure if it started a day or two before I took the medication or after because everything happened around the same time. This is the part that really has me in agony. After being on Wellbutrin for 6 days with just a twitch in the thumb which was aggravated when I use my smartphone, I started getting light twitches in various parts of my body, my legs arms back chest. It was enough to scare me and I immediately got off the medication however the symptoms did not go away, in fact they got worse! I immediately told my psychiatrist and then had to wait another week to see my PCP. My PCP didn't do anything except tell me that I might have dystonia now from the medication and I need to see a neurologist ASAP! Of course this freaked me out and I went through the list of neurologist on my insurance and of course couldn't see any of them for another month. I have an appointment finally on March 27th. Many times I wanted to just go to the emergency room but was told they won't do anything either but send me home with they request to see a neurologist. Now I sit here in complete panic everyday not even being able to sleep. Looking up of course shows all the other horrible issues that could be causing this because the doctors don't understand why it was still be happening after 3 weeks of taking the medication so it could have triggered something else going on with me! So far the symptoms were thumb twitching that ended up going into my arm then twitching in my other arm and then the top of my thighs, my hamstrings, my calves, sometimes my feet, in my face in my back, stomach, pecks all day long. I don't feel muscle weakness except the kind when you have anxiety attacks and then it feels like you can't walk for like 30 minutes and then everything will go back to normal but I do have muscle soreness from the spots where I get the twitching the most. Most of all the twitching in my body repeat in the same place with occasional few new ones that travel around. I also get tingling and burning sensations in my feet legs and arms but that happens like every few days. The only thing that relieves it is if I take massive amounts of magnesium like 500 mg a day and keep on it if I skip a day I have bad Twitches that day. I was a vegetarian and now I started eating meat again oh, that's how scared I am and I'm doing so to help with my muscles. The only abnormal thing on a blood test I had in November before this happened was a high MCH count showing that I could be low in vitamin B12. For years I've also been low and vitamin D and I have been taking 3,000 units a day and I have moved it up to a level of 26. It also showed on my thyroid test that I was two points away from being hypothyroidism but the doctor didn't seem concerned about any of this. All other electrolytes and hormones were normal however again this was 5 months ago and these symptoms started three weeks ago during medication of a generic Wellbutrin. It's so hard waiting another three weeks to be seen buy a neurologist and then I know I'm going to have to wait more weeks until I can get scheduled in for MRI, that electric muscle testing and so on. I am desperate for opinions in this matter and I thank you for reading this.

1 like, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.