New Here and Seeking Advise

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm new here. I'm a 23 year old who has been dealing with this for about a year now. I've usually been dealing with it pretty ok after the innitial phase of trying to figure out what the heck it was. But this week I had a really bad attack where my meds didn't help me at all. I'm still not feeling 100% even on the meds at the moment and I honestly can't stay standing or sitting in an upright position for too long or I get really dizzy and nauseous. In fact I feel like I need keep sleeping or laying down because that's the only time I get some sort of relief. Do any of you guys have any tips or tricks that could help me?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, not sure where you are, I am in UK & we are usually prescribed Betahistine to start with. I am on 16 mg x 3 daily & I know others are on much higher doses. I also had issues with sitting & can't lean or sleep on my right side as that's the bad side. I sit on the left hand side of the couch fairly straight with my feet curled under me. It sounds daft I know but I couldn't read a book or look at my laptop for months as I got dizzy looking down. I then found I had pins & needle sensations in my head so take 10mg Amitriptyline at bedtime & sleep right through . Make sure you drink plenty fluids & eat regularly too. Try to stay calm too. 

• Posted

I live in the US. They gave me 25mg of meclizine and 5mg of diazepam for if I have an attack(meclizine to take first and diazepam if the symptoms persist). They also put me on a low salt diet and tried diuretics(ended up getting dehydrated

so they stopped it). I've experienced similar issues with reading. Except it does not matter what hight the words are at as it all makes me ill or it just bothers me. This mostly happens after I get these odd visual issues where it looks like my world is curling or moving up and up again like a bad tv connection. But eventually I can read again. I also can not tilt my head to the right or lay down on my right side as it makes me dizzy as well since that's my bad ear too. It doesn't matter if I've had an attack or anything. I just can't do it or I'll get a bit dizzy. I've been attempting to eat better and drink more. Though honestly, I have a hard time keeping calm durring an attack. I end up getting so emotional durring and afterwords.

• Posted

What meds’ are you on?  I take Serc and it works most of the time. Mine started last December and I felt very fatigued for a few months but now ok with energy. I take a multi vitamin and mineral daily and prefer to spread the Serc out over 24 hours rather than 3 times a day. I’ve been suffering from hearing distortion and pressure lately so I know I’m vulnerable to attacks which is why I am keeping to an even pattern with the meds. There isn’t much help and guidance out there. I find also that exercise helps with stress which is one of my triggers. 
  • Posted

Cut out as much salt as you can.  I have my sodium intake to about 1000 mg per day or less.  I haven't eaten lunch meat in 11 months, No potato chips, pickles, olives, prepared foods.  Read your labels carefully.  It seems that everything has some sodium so be careful.  It's been about 1 year since my last episode.  Good Luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.