New Here. Both feet or one?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone. I just joined today and was wonder how many of you had both feet done at same time? Was it worth it and how was the recovery? I ask bc My job os demanding with time and rather have the recovery time shorted by have just the one time and recovery for both feet. I see my surgeon tomorrow.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I had bunion surgery on my right foot 8 days ago now and so will speak from my experience so far. I have been pleasantly surprised at how uneventful it has been and not even a particularly painful order at all! I have followed my doctor's orders to a tee and iced every hour, kept elevated especially in first week and started to walk a little more as each day passes, always in my surgical shoe.

It is slow, steady healing and although I am somewhat mobile, I have barely left my house yet and am limiting my walking as much as possible not to overdo it. By evening my foot is usually throbbing to let me know that I have walked too much or used the stairs too often. I know this will improve as each day passes but it is still only the 8th day post-op.

Bathing is a bit tricky but I'm managing to body wash using a bidet because I can steady myself on my good foot. Same with using the toilet.

I say this because before the surgery, I would've thought the same - to do both feet and recover simultaneously. However NOW I realize just how much that would've affected my mobility. I would prob be in a wheelchair. Bathing and toilet use would be very, very challenging. I think it would not be worth it to be THAT limited. I am able to get up and down stairs and get myself morning coffee and breakfast etc if no is around but would be completely dependent on others if I had both done both feet at the same time.

My surgery was done by one of the few podiatrists in Canada still permitted to do this surgery in his private clinic. I have only three incisions less than 1cm long each and so had minimally invasive surgery (Wilson/Akin method). He will not operate on both feet at same and insists minimum time in between should be no less than 3 months. I can see how weakened I will be due to this period of inactivity so I realize the value of doing each foot separately to enable proper healing of each. I'm planning my left foot surgery for maybe August of this year (5 months later).

Just sharing my experience, 8 days in : )

Good luck and keep us posted as to your surgeon's advice.

Susan

Toronto, Canada

• Posted

Ty! So much for ur reply. I am a nurse and to do one at a time my be bit of an issue with the down time for each surgery. That is why O have been thinking of getting both done and out of the way. I also went back to school to advance my degree in nursing and my school will only allow a 6 month leave of absence. It really making my choices hard. But both feet hurt almost equally and standong on they all the time is not helping. Even driving has be horrible.I will def keep u and everyone else posted at how my second surgeon visit goes. And good luck and happy healing Susan!

Tabitha

• Posted

Hi Susan!

which doctor in Toronto performed your surgery? was it minimally invasive surgery or traditional?

• Posted

Hi, I had both feet done January 2015. I'm so glad I had it all done together. No hassle at all. If you have a good surgeon I would recommend it.
    • Posted

Hi Bev I'm curious to hear more about your double-op experience - how did you manage day to day in your home having both feet done at once? you up must've had lots of help? How long were you off recovering? Thanks!
    • Posted

Hi Bev! Did u find walking w both done very difficult or manageable? I was told this surgeon likes to do one at a time but im hoping he does both if i encourage it. Just want to make sure that its doable. One surgeon thinks i should do one and then the other bc of driving but i would not b able to anyway bc I drive standard.
    • Posted

I had a top surgeon. He suggested doing both together. Absolutely no problem at all. Very little pain just discomfort. I had heel walking boots for 6 weeks them big trainers till swelling went. Easy to get about with a walking frame whilst in the boots. The only problem was bathing but that's a hassle with just having one done. You just have to prepare well. Also Google your surgeon make sure he is well experienced. 
    • Posted

I was off work 10 weeks. You have to keep your feet up as much as possible. I had my op in the winter and just went into hibernation. A friend cooked for me for first two weeks then after that just did for myself really. A bit boring but hey ho in winter it's not such a trial to be cooped up. I would do it again no problem. I must say your recovery and pain really comes down to the best surgeon and doing as you're told to the letter.
    • Posted

btw there are lots of people on this site that have had both done at same time. Just have a look at the past threads. Bi lateral scarf and Akins. It isn't very unusual.
    • Posted

Thx so mich for getting back to me. Yea I started reading some of the other threads and I think it would be best to have both done for me. Bc of my job and the time i need to take. I see my surgeon in a little while. He supposed to one of the best where im located and has done copious amounts of procedures for bunions. So hoping for the best.
    • Posted

Good luck. But I know most nurses make the worst patients...
    • Posted

HAHA yea I'm not oneof them, I had surgery for something else and was a good patient. Tho many of the care takers and nurses knew I am nurse and I made their day a little easier. smile
  • Posted

As far as I know there really is not many doctors who will do both bunions at the same time,,,,,mine said never would he do it. After having 2 bunions removed I can honestly say I would not want to have them both done at same time.
  • Posted

I definitely think having them done at the same time would be helpful because of the time needed to heal....good luck to you.
    • Posted

I have to get both done at same time bc of down time for recovery. and the amount of time I can take off work. I'm on my feet most the time as a nurse and I pushed it off so long that now the pain is impeding me making it in for shift. Or having to be misersble in pain trying to do my shift.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.