New here, first episode of SVT two days ago

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All,

Just looking for some insight to SVT. I do see a cardiologist next week as my first ever episode happened just two days ago.

I've always had a heart flutter that lasts a couple seconds and would take my breath away since I was a teen but never anything like what happened the other day.

When it started, I was driving to work and felt what I thought was a flutter. When it didn't stop and my heart began to race and race and I was diaphoretic (sweating), I knew something wasn't right. Luckily, I work in a doctor's office and right across the street from a hospital!

My coworker took me in and my heart rate reached to 231bpm! Everywhere I have read, mostly say heart rates can get anywhere from 150-180bpm. Has anyone else experienced over 200? It felt like I was running a marathon....and was really scary.

Anyway, the ER doctor and nurses instructed me to "bear down" (literally) and after trying it twice, my heart rate went back to normal! I guess this is one of the ways to bring you back down and it triggers the vagus nerve. Let's just say I learned a lot that day.

Guess I'm here just wanting some insight from others who have dealt with this multiple times as this was my first episode. Just curious to hear others thoughts smile

Thank you!

Nicole

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Nicole, I guess most of us SVT folk have had heart rates of 231 or higher (think my highest was about 250 and rarely, if ever, less than 200 during an episode). Its great that you work in a GPs office because you'll probably get the best people involved early.

You'll see from many posts here over the years that among the most common SVT triggers are caffeine (eventually even the tiny amounts in defaff in my case), sudden bending movements, and mental or emotional stress (possibly delayed reaction to that). Some have mentioned physical exercise, and booze and cigarettes, but they were definitely not triggers in my case. That said, SVT episodes often (possibly most often) occur for no discernible reason whatsoever e.g. when just sitting relaxing. 

Many of us have been cured of the curse that is SVT by an ablation. It might be worth talking to your Cardio about that possibility.

Take care

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your story. Luckily I already have cut out caffeine for over a year. And since two days ago, I've decided to take a break from drinking alcohol as well.....at least until I find out more from the doc.

Thanks again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.