New here - GP wants me to change to Sertraline! Help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

My GP wants me to swop to sertraline today. I started citalopram on 6th dec and it hasnt really settled with me, anxiety and side effect wise. I am having constant muscle twitching and jerking keeping me awake at night so he says its not suiting me! How frustrating is this journey, I just want to settle and get back to my old self 😦 anyone have an opinion on this? will sertraline make me worse before better?x

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Edited

Hi Aimee,

I'm so sorry you're struggling right now. I was like you started on Citalopram, got nothing from it, switched to Sertraline which literally gave me my life back. It took time of course, it wasn't a quick fix but I am so glad I did. It sounds like you've given the Citalopram a good go, a couple of months in you should definitely be feeling something, if you're getting nothing then it's not the right med for you. Your doc is right to want to try you on something else.

As for whether it's going to make you feel worse before better, that is something that unfortunately does not have a simple answer. Some people can start Sertraline and be absolutely fine, no side effects, and start feeling some relief after days, others it takes weeks to begin to feel anything and they get every side effect under the sun. The only way to know is to try. Clearly what you're doing right now is not working for you, you're getting no relief, so there can be no harm in trying something new in Sertraline.

I hope that the Sertraline works for you.

• Posted

Hey Infinitelyseekin how long before you saw the benefits on Sertraline? I have been on it about 11 weeks now and not had much improvement and have developed the shakes / a tremor! Thanks Ed

• Edited

GP started me on Escitalopram, cleaner type of Citalopram, but I made me way worse than before. Lost 9 weeks with trying and then cross tapered to Sertraline. This was at the end of November and I am still off work, still cant do nothing. I had some better days but not many, and doc upped my dose to 100mg 12 days ago. Today I feel so low and sick again. Its nearly half year for me now and I feel I dont get anywhere 😦

• Edited

From what I know about the way these meds work is 12 days is still early and hopefully you should improve soon x

• Edited

i like you swapped to sert and with 6 weeks i felt little improvements prob before bit def within 6 wks in the first 2 i had every side effect going and even my symptoms ramped up but you have to work with it no med is going to work on its own for me i distracted myself became more present and little by little i noticed oh ive not felt anxious so far today force yourself out and abt even though its the last thing you feel like. dont loose hope theres a med for everyone but u have to help it along. good luck

• Posted

I already have side effects from citalopram so I'm not sure it can get any worse! I'm taking it got anxiety, not depression. I agree thats good advice, I am still going to work and out with my family etc. To be honest the side effects of the citalopram are worse than the anxiety I had in the first place so i feel I have nothing to lose trying Sertraline!

• Edited

I have experienced tremors / shaking on Sertraline (100mg). Waiting to discuss with my psychiatrist. Unfortunately all these medications affect people differently, so you can only keep trying different meds until you find the one that suits you. If you have money to burn you can try DNA testing to find a suitable drug but it is not very accurate at the moment.

Cheers, Ed

• Posted

i'm on 50mg. To be honest with the Citalopram - if it was helping with my anxiety I could probably cope with the muscle twitching at night but its not! I'm no less anxious now than when I first started! Apparently out of the two, theres less chance of side effects with sertraline.

• Edited

Good luck, hope you finds something that works for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.