New here...need some reassurance

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello. I haven’t posted on this topic before although I’ve been dealing with it for 7 years. 

I have pulsatile tinnitus. I’ve had it for 7 years. It randomly started one day and hasn’t gone away since. I constantly hear my pulse in my left ear. It’s whooshing sound that goes along to my heart beat. I’ve seen an ent about it and was told there was nothing that could be done about it. 

I also have very bad anxiety which started around the same time. Does anyone else have anxiety about their tinnitus? 

Is there really nothing that can be done about it?

I also have chronic sinusitis which I’m wondering is somehow connected. I have a really bad sinus infection right now and antibiotics and nasal sprays didn’t help. I’m so frustrated and in constant pain from sinuses headaches. I also get dizzy a lot because of this whole mess. 

I’m considering asking to see a different ent to see what they say. 

Just wondering if anyone else suffers from pulsatile tinnitus and has gotten rid of it?

Thanks. 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I have pulsate T. It is better though. Iv really worked on calming myself and deep breathing and moderating chips etc. I also have acid reflux, etd, cutis verticis gyrata, and I wonder if all is connected. My T has slowed dwn quite a bit. I do have some times when it gets pretty bad, bUT thank the Lord it has eithr gotton bettr or I'm learning 2 deal bettr. Sure hope u learn to deal or that it gets bettr...hope this helps..

• Posted

You have a lot going on.  Pulsatile tinnitus can be brought on my anxiety and stress.  Are you taking anything for your anxiety?  If not you might want to inquire about Ativan which taken in low dose (0.5mg) is not addictive and should help calm you down.  Tinnitus and sinus infections can be brought on by allergies and non allergic rhinitis...especially in the Spring and Fall.  Have you been to an allergist?  Are you taking an antihistamine/steroid nasal inhaler?  If not, you probably should be.  Prior to using the inhaler you should cleanse your nostrils and sinus with a salt water flush which you can buy over the counter.  I use the nasal flush two or three times a day and it has worked extreemly well in controlling my allergies, sinus infections and palsitile tinnitus.  good luck.
  • Posted

Hi darkaree-45

i can only tell you my experience which I've never had advice for as have had constant loud 24/7 tinnitus all life which is like quite a high pitch constant buzz. However I have had something simelar to what you describe at times where by I've had an accompanying pulsating sound at a lower frequency but have been aware of even with the other.  It has usually been at times when I've been a bit congested or have had a bout of sinusitis with a headache. Ale had glandular fever 2 years running and think infection spread cos second time went totally deaf (alarming) for couple weeks and experienced it then. Sometimes if ain't got music or tv going at night I've sometimes been aware of it in the background when ive gone to bed. It's no way a constant like my good friend who always hangs around and even when it's lasted for say a week or so it's always gone usually if a bout if something is clearing up. Stress could b an important factor as I've seen a few comments on various sites which suggest it could be a significant factor with some tinnitus sufferers. A vicious circle really cos stress could be cause but in turn I know that tinnitus can be very stressful for some. In my profile thing it sounds like it does affect me but must have been having a bad day when wrote it as normally my friend who constantly nags me dont really bother me as grew up thinking the norm. The pulsating one tho wasn't pleasant but kind of fitted in with having infection or being bunged up. Get some advice from audiologist or medic as It may ease your mind. I don't know if your stress is due to it or whether it came about at a time of stress cos I likened mine a bit like palpitations but in my head.  It's has gone every time tho but sounds like you've been dealing with this for some time now.  I do hope you get some answers and do seek advice from a pro as very often there is an underlying cause or simple explanation. Good luck and hope this thing eases up for you 😻

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.