New here: Ovarian cyst worries

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm new here and joined to hopefully find support with what I believe is an ovarian cyst.

Tomorrow I will have my first gynecologist appointment where I am anticipating an ultrasound. I am 19 years old and have always had painful periods and ovulation, predominately involving my right ovary. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm diagnosed with PCOS, especially since it runs in my family. Severe right ovary pain has lead me to "self-diagnose" myself with an ovarian cyst, although I hate to jump to conclusions. The pain comes and goes throughout the month but gets considerably worse when I'm ovulating. I have a pinching/dull ache on my right side which radiates to my back and legs. Sometimes I experience numbness in my legs and feet as well. A twisting or pulling sensation sometimes occurs where I feel as if I need to twist my back and stretch. I also feel pressure on my bladder and bowels which have resulted in more frequent trips to the restroom.

I have been extensively researching ovarian cysts and surgical procedures for days, which has really stressed me out. However, I do mean well by trying to prepare myself for the worst. I am finally coming to terms with the possibility of having a laparoscopic cystectomy, however I am terrified of a laparotomy. Since I've had this pain for years, I'm afraid it may be too large to remove laparoscopically. I have never had surgery before and I also deal with extreme anxiety. This medical condition has consumed my life lately, filling my head with "what-ifs?". I know I'm obviously putting the cart before the horse here, but I would really like to find some peace with the possibility of my gyno telling me I will need surgery. If anyone has any experiences with laparotomy, I would appreciate you sharing your fears and recovery with me. Thank you all in advance

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Beccy, thank you for your affirming words. I am a size 2 and I do not notice any protrusion, so this makes me feel a bit less worried smile

I am feeling less anxious about my appointment today, thanks to all you sweet ladies! I will let you know how it goes

• Posted

Oh you are across the pond....I was a bit concerned just then how skinny you are haha

Well that would make me a size 6 to you. So yes, if I can see it on me you would DEFINITELY be able to see! lol

Please do let us know how you get on! Good luck

• Posted

Hi cmarie, i had a tubal cyst that was 6 x 7 cm and a para-tubal cyst that was 7 x 8 cm, they removed both via

Laparoscopy, i have a C-Section scar which stretches from nearly hip to hip, so in comparison the

laparoscopy scars are very small........... its hard to imagine how they remove relatively large cysts through

such a small incision, i know they get placed into a bag and get sucked up through the tubes which they

have inserted in to your lower abdo. I dont think they burst the cyst like you asked, but these are questions

you need to ask if you need surgery, i am going back in next week to have my ovary removed as it has grown alot in 10 weeks from my last scan,my experience of having cysts removed was not at all unpleasant, it hasnt put me off going back for more surgery. Good luck girls x

• Posted

Hi girls! Well...I had a pelvic exam today and will be having an ultrasound early April. The doctor said he felt something possibly the size of a small lemon around my right ovary. However, he feels confident that this could be removed laparoscopically if surgery is needed. I am ready to have this ultrasound done so I can get more answers. I hope everyone is doing well today.
  • Posted

So pleased they may have figured it out. Everything will be absolutely fine love x
  • Posted

Hi! Was wondering what happened after your ultrasound. Did you have a cyst? I have been experiencing the same symptoms as you and am also a size 2. Your thread has helped me thanks for sharing. smile
  • Posted

Hey there, I know exactly what you're going through. I was diagnosed with pcos when I was 13 and had surgery when I was 16 for a softball sized cyst and 19 golf ball sized ones and a torsion of my ovary. It was very painful to deal with and my periods were absolute torture. Procedure was rather simple though, day surgery with not even half and inch incision at my bikini line, now they did have to stick a camera in through my belly button but that was also very small and you can't see either now. Recovery was hard because I could take a bath (can't be submerged in water for risk of infection) your insides are swollen so you can use any stomach muscle to sit up or hardly do anything. Took about two months to get back to somewhat normal but I felt amazing after that, got on a normal birth control that kept cysts from coming up and actually could skip my periods with it. Don't worry yourself too much love, women are strong and I believe you can do it! I have zero pain tolerance and had just turned 16 so I know you can! Best of luck and praying for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.