New Here - Recent MRI Done and Shocked at The Results

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi guys,

Just new here and wanted to try and get some patient info rather than all the medical feedback that I quite frankly don't understand or trust.

Male age 49, started with pain in my right hand 4 years ago. Graduallt transferred to left hand and now is what I would describe generally as a combination of burning, aching tingling and numbness in both hands, wrists and forearms. No other issues, aside from that in good healtha nd do lots of regular physical activity.

Lived with the pain which has gradually got worse and probably is something like a 5/10 on the pain scale now.

Recent stressfull domestic issues seemed to agrivate the pains so finally decided to see a Spine Doctor (I am a Brit but live in the Philippines where medical care is excellent, especially when they see a foreign face with bulging pockets !)

The Dr did all the usual physical tests and none of them replicated the symptoms and her diagnised me with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in both hands, to which I said "Sorry Sherlock, it ain't CTS).

Ok, he said, go do an MRI, which I just did and have the results (results pasted at the end of this post)

Went back to see the Dr and he said that I need surgery (Fusion of C5 and C6).

So, my quandry now is should I believe him or should I try a different approach.

The first paste below is the original MRI findings and the second paste is a second opinion that I got from an independant on line service.

Many thanks indeed Guys.

IMPRESSION: -BILATERAL NEURAL FORAMINAL STENOSIS AT C5-C6 SECONDARY TO RIGHT FORAMINAL DISC EXTRUSION ON THE RIGHT, BILATERAL UNCOVERTEBRAL JOINT HYPERTROPHY WITH PROMINENT SPUR ON THE LEFT. -CORD EDEMA, C5 AND C6.

Second Opinion

OPINION:

There is a moderate sized, posterior disc protrusion/osteophyte complex at C5/C6 causing moderate spinal canal stenosis, moderate compression of the cervical cord and cord edema. The segment of cord edema extends from the level of the C4/C5 disc to C6/C7 disc and affects the left hemicord more than the right hemicord. Significant bilateral foramen stenosis at C5/C6 with compression of both exiting C6 nerves (right more than left) seen.

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Phil, just wondering how you were six weeks post op? I ask because I have just had a disc replacement in same joint as you six weeks ago. But I am in very poor condition. Lots of extra pain that I did not have prior to surgery. I just had a similar aching arm to you. Now I am on an absolute cocktail of painkillers. Have some days where I can barely get out of bed. But symptoms seem to fluctuate immensly. Some days I actually have a good day. Surgeon said he might have pushed the TDR in a bit too far. An MRI now shows that the two vertabrae seem to be jutted at a different angle to the other vertabrae. Anyway, maybe I am expecting too much too soon. If you can give me some feedback that would be great. This is an old post so I hope you see it?? Thanks Joel
    • Posted

Hi Joe, thats me just over a year on now. 6 weeks after the op I was probably hypersensitive and loking for any slight changes, good or bad but in fairness the "new" negative sensations that I felt, were only psychological in hindsight. Overall, at 6 eeks the general symptoms had reduced, although not to the extent that I had wished for. It took me about 3 months to be fully comfortable with the surgical incision healing before I was back to full mobility doing everything I had done before the op and only at that time could I make a full comparisson.. I still have the tingling in my forearms and fingers but nowhere near as bad as before. I can go 6 out of 7 days ithout any pain killers in general as I seem to have occasional bad day with a slight flare up. My doc said that all went as planned and that nerve damage will never truly heal and that the remaining pains I have now are from nerves that are damaged and are kind of mis-firing - sending pain signal to the brain that don't actually exist.Here is a shot opf the position of my replacement disk which looks to me to be quite well aligned.
  • Posted

Hi Phil, thanks for your reply. I've finally got a copy of my xray.  I'm not really sure if Im looking at your image corerctly or not? My tdr is pushed right through the back of the vertabrae. Is that the same positioning as yours? Or is yours more toward the front? I'm just worried it has been pushed too far?

Let me know what you think? Thanks Joel

• Posted

Hi Joel, I am certainly no Doctor or Radiographer but it does look to be too far in, when I compare with mine. Mine, as you will note is flush in line with the front faces leaving the back section well clear of the nerve roots and spinal cord. I would get a second opinion on this.
  • Posted

Hi, I'm brand new to this. I have cs with neuropathy extreme narrowing c5, c6. I've had this for over 7 years of symptoms. Mri confirmed. They recommend surgery but I'm scared to death and I've been dealing with left arm pain mostly hand and pinkie and next in finger with number, burning etc etc. I've managed this for 7 years and I'm allergic to ibuphropen.... hah! So periodic Tylenol. Creams and heating pad help with hot showers. I work daily on computer and I'm 73! Supposed to have been an accident also. This had been really helpful to me. I'm managing and have a traction machine...scary and tns machine helps with pain also. Done acupuncture and pt on and off. I'm wondering if stern cell would help? Anyone look into that? Thank you for all of this helpful information. One doctor told me years ago, I needed the surgery our I'd be paralyzed if I was in a car accident. I told her I could get paralyzed anyway. Then she said a patient was hit by a wave walking along the beach. I said I never walk along the beach. Anyway they've accepted my paranoia about the surgery. Any other ideas?

• Posted

Hi

your situation is almost identical to what I started with almost 6 yrs ago.

i was told if i didnt have surgery, i could vwry well end up parylized.

your hand and arm pain ... nothing wrong with your arm and hand's.... its all coming from the neck.

i had the surgery and it was totally successful.

thats the good news.

my problem got worse, not because of the surgery, that was needed and

it worked.

but the surgeon didnt know at that time, that the amount of nerve impingement from foramen narrowing ( bone spurs basically, but crushing the nerves) was just beginning.

i know tjis is probably too much info about me.

as for the surgery, yes get it done.

then make sure they've done an MRI to assess how bad your bone spurs are. as you might end up going down the same path i did

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.