New Here, Right Side Lower Abdo Pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, I have been reading up about right sided diverticulitis as I have had ongoing pain in my cecum area for quite a while now. I always thought diverticulitis was on the left so dismissed it as the cause of my pain but now realise it can be on the right. My symptoms all started with bad bloating and gas back in March, the pain came later on around April/May. Since then I've had a gynae scan for cysts - only one small right one, bloods - ok but borderline vit D def, then finally got a gastro consult but she just gave me laxido which was dissappointing as I could tell straight away that would not help my localised pain which is almost muscular as it's worse when I move and worse at night. So had to go for second opinion and finally getting a colonoscopy next week. I'm really just wondering if anyone else has had right sided localised ongoing pain which turned out to be diverticulitis or some form?

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kinola

I always had right sided DD problems. It was initially written up as left sided and I had to tell them it was right side.  Never had a problem left side. I had problems walking and sitting when I had a flare up. Had to lie on my left side with hot water bottle and antibiotics for relief. In the end I had a sigmoid colonoscopy as had severe diverticulitis for 12 months prior to op.  Am doing okay now.

Regards

Annie

• Posted

When you had your colonoscopy, did they go the whole way round your digestive tube ,as it usually just a short journey with a sigmoid ,or a normal one. You didn't say if they put you on medication. Ijust used to take Paracetamol if I had a twinge.. I always associated bottom left hand side pain with appendicitis.  So, did your pain stop after the colonoscopy ?  or, have you had an operation to remove anything??

Jacqueline

• Posted

Sorry I should have said sigmoid colectomy (it was late at night when I replied!!??!!)  They removed all of the sigmoid colon.  That was 18 months ago and I have been fine since then.  No more attacks or antibiotics etc. Can only eat very small meals now but I was never able to eat a big meal. Have to take Fybogel twice daily though.  Did have IBS for years then DD for about 4 years. So pleased I had it done.  Got my life back.

Regards

Annie

• Posted

I think that shoud be standard procedure with all D.D sufferers ,if it's just the sigmoid that is affected. Are you U.K or somewhere  else. ? 

• Posted

The UK where I am won't operate unless it is an emergency, like a blockage or perforation.  Some people I have read get great results, but for others the DD just pops up somewhere else and they are back to square one.  So it's a bit of a lottery.  I have a narrowing and am aware I could end up with a blockage, but am managing fine at present on Fybogel and diet.  My cousin had his sigmoid removed after a perforation into his bladder and he was fine afterwards, although it took around 6 months recovery time.  I have all over DD so for me, it would be a stoma bag, not a reconnection, so I want to avoid that for as long as possible.

• Posted

Hi Annie-Marie, thanks so much for getting back to me, relieved to hear someone else has had right sided DD and is now fine, well done you! I just didn't think it could be Diverticulitis related being on the right side, I guess out of everything it could be (bearing in mind it's been going on for a while now) DD would be one of the 'better' outcomes? I can't find anything concrete to distinguish these symptoms from a tumour of some sort so all very worrying. But I'm guessing the colonoscopy will reveal all, I hope!!

• Posted

Me too, we seem to be in a "Don't Care" country. I landed up in the Stoma ward,, ghastly place,,, when i had a burst  abscess, on my colon..  Have to ask,,,is Fybogel a laxative ?   D.D used to cause me 24/7 stress when I first acquired "IT" until I realised after many months ,that no-one really gave a toss how I was coping with it,, so I stopped stressing,ate small meals, and on the whole  ignored it. I do however take Acidophilus ,which for me ,is an angel in a bottle, and I have been fine for 2 years   

• Posted

Yes it is a very mild laxative - takes about 2 weeks to work!!!  It's main purpose is to bulk and soften stools by drawing in and adding water to them.  Hence nice soft easy to pass ones!  When I was first diagnosed 16 years ago I was told nothing, just given Fybogel and a leaflet.  As I was very busy at work, Ijust got on with it and didn't think too much.  So I did fine until last year, with just 3 flares in the gap.  Now it's a lot worse and I do take much more care.  But I've always eaten very healthy - just too much of a good thing, and I'm now cutting back portion sizes and trying to get my weight down.  I also introduced aloe vera and probiotics.  But compared to others on this site I think I must be very lucky.

• Posted

Sounds extremely tiresome and long winded (pardon the pun)

Has no one ever told you about Lactulose???A very mild laxative ,that you take only when needed, and usually takes a couple of hours to work.Tastes quite nice too .10 mls measure If I miss a morning removal,,I take a measure straight away, and that's it .The wheels are in  motion.

you must have been giving your guts a lot of work, and they finally fought back with flares. I eat small but make sure everything is very tasty. I use spices rather than herbs,.Weight is a problem,I have to say , I'm struggling to lose 6 lbs, I weny on a Kit Kat,and vanilla slice binge, felt a bit down,, so I scoffed.. Try the Lactulose, your G.P will prescribe it. if asked. ..

• Posted

Hi

I actually don't need a laxative as I already go 3 - 6 times a day.  I just need to make sure they stay soft, so I don't strain, which is why Fybogel works for me and bulks up the soluble fibre.  But everyone differs - what works for one doesn't work for someone else. 

Because I have other medical problems I can't (or shouldn't) eat: gluten, full fat, sugars, carbs, spices, additives, acids, alcohol, caffeine.  And I need to lose another 70 pounds to get to where the doctor wants.  I just eat far too much of a good thing!!!!  Still I've shifted 11 pounds already - but it's SOOOOO boring.

• Posted

Hello. you sound just like me,,, I collect incurable diseases,think it's three at the moment,plus a couple of items that need  surgery, but WUSS is my 

middle name,,one will be sorted when I come back from a few days away. I  have to have a tooth removed,,a molar, The surgeon has promised that I will be off my head,, and won't feel a thing.Where have I heard that before !!!

Your "Don't " eat list is certainly long,There can't be many good things left for you to enjoy, but it sounds as though you have solved that problem,

if you have 70 lbs to lose.You will jst have to think THIN

• Posted

Hey Felinia! Must say your experience is a really interesting data point for me as the DD seems to have got worse even though you were, for example, fybogel'ing? Do you think you've significantly raised your game in a dietry sense only in recent years, or did you improve it right from the first diagnosis? I tried to start a discussion but dont think its peoples primary interest (which is not surprisingly stopping attacks!). 

All the best

James

• Posted

I was jsut trying to see what your picture was. A cat ,read your profile, do you breed cats?? I have a friend who breeds Maine Coons and goats ,,and King charles spaniels,, and Arabians,, she has no children ,, no wonder really,, no time !!!!!.
    • Posted

Hi James

I followed a low fat high fibre diet from 2000.  I had a massive weight loss before my first attack in 2001, but since then I just eat more than I need.  So I reckon my insides have been overworked lol!!!  But I have been told DD is a progressive disease and for life, so am not surprised it got worse, even though for many years after the first attack I was symptom free and eating my 5+ a day.  I still prefer fresh veggies and fruit and restrict my protein and carbs.  I've never been one for high fat, or takeaways, or all the sweet bad things, apart from my one weakness - ice cream.  I've friends who eat like a horse, drink like a fish and pass every medical with flying colours.  I sometimes wonder if there is some family tendancy and my cousin and aunt both suffered and both ended up with a colostomy and stoma bag.  And both much my age.  Adapt and carry on!

• Posted

The picture is the boss of the house - Autumn aged 16.  She is a pedigree British Shorthair.  I have had cats for over 20 years, including 2 Maine Coon X breeds.  But they are or were just pets.   Expensive hobby!
    • Posted

my friend will not be breeding anyting for a hobby, ,she shows all, and does very well,,specially with the Arabians .The Coons are huge, it's a good job they are friendly. Nice name for a cat ,,bet her pedigree name is a tad longer.

• Posted

Hi Felinia, 

Hmmm ok - sounds like you were very good and did it by the book! I'm hoping to try and arrest the development of this thing as much as I can so your experience is very helpful. Both my mum and dad had this so I know there is a weakness in the family - neither was bagged so I'm hoping I can avoid that - sadly both of them have shed this mortal coil so I cant ask them more about it! 

Haha, oh well as you say, laugh an tear up!

• Posted

Hi Annie-Marie

I also have DD on my right side, I have this constant ache, i'm now on a course of Antibiotics, does also effect your bladder.

Regards

Julie

• Posted

Collingwood Forever Autumn!

Don't think I can contribute anything further to this Forum - Divi Diners has it all covered.  So logging off.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.