New Here, Right Side Lower Abdo Pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, I have been reading up about right sided diverticulitis as I have had ongoing pain in my cecum area for quite a while now. I always thought diverticulitis was on the left so dismissed it as the cause of my pain but now realise it can be on the right. My symptoms all started with bad bloating and gas back in March, the pain came later on around April/May. Since then I've had a gynae scan for cysts - only one small right one, bloods - ok but borderline vit D def, then finally got a gastro consult but she just gave me laxido which was dissappointing as I could tell straight away that would not help my localised pain which is almost muscular as it's worse when I move and worse at night. So had to go for second opinion and finally getting a colonoscopy next week. I'm really just wondering if anyone else has had right sided localised ongoing pain which turned out to be diverticulitis or some form?

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,

I have diverticulitis and it's hardly ever on the left side. Always on the right or all across

• Posted

Hi Angela, how was yours diagnosed? did the doctors have a clue what it was if it was not on the left?
    • Posted

Hi

Mine was diagnosed after a colonoscopy but I went to GP first having had lower (right and all across pain) whilst straining to pass a motion I also passed blood which freaked me out! The Dr and consultant said that the pain is not always on the left (I am proof) and can be on the right or just general lower pain.I also mistakenly thought it was just on left. They managed a full colonoscopy and biopsy so definitely diverticulitis. Best wishes. Angela

• Posted

Thanks Angela for coming back to me, it's good the colonoscopy found it OK, I'm just hoping what ever I have is easy to find and diagnose too. Mine started with awful bloating and gas then the right side and back pain followed a month or so later.  I hope you are feeling fine now!

• Posted

I am sure from what you have said they will find DD so try not to worry. Worse part is preparation so be be near the toilet!!! As soon as he started he saw diverticulitis straight away and said "Do you want to have a look"! Wimpy me did not!! Before you know it you will be home having a nice cup of tea.

• Posted

Hi Kinola

Good luck for tomorrow.Keep us posted.

• Posted

Hi Angela, not sure if you can see my message above so have pasted it here too!  "Hi all, so have done it, been there got the t shirt and no further forward with pain explanation, I did my prep very well (go me!) so they had a good look through my 'long looping colon' and managed to get to the ceacum, valve and ileum. So onwards and upwards, seems to be another set of US scans in the pipeline and if not use CT scan. It was an interesting process and when I saw what was involved I take my hat off to those that can successfully negotiate those loops, looked really tricky! hopefully once I've had time to digest where I'm at I'll have the energy to keep thinking what I need to do, I would think the other scans will show other abdominal bits and bobs although I don't really know the difference between US and CT...hope you lovely folk are all doing well and it's so nice to know you're out there!"

• Posted

Hi

Well done! I have been wondering how you got on.Good news about the good colon result. Just get the other stuff over with and then you will hopefully have more idea of what's going on. It will probably come down to being able to manage it in the best way for you.

Best wishes. Angela

• Posted

Hi yes it's really a long process of elimination I guess, just wish it wasn't so long!! scans booked (thankfully NHS this time) mid Aug and co codimol suggested for between now and then although I know that's not great for the gut so might be a last resort, meant to be going cycling on holiday so need to stay keen and full of joy for the rest of the family - mind you that will be a first!! thanks for your messages and help, x

• Posted

I have had right uppper quadrant and left lower quadrant all diagnosed with a CT with contrast? Did they do A CT scan?
    • Posted

Hi pwk, thanks for the message, that's me done the colonoscopy now, now sure if you can see the messages above, but now going for an abdo and another gynae US, the consutant this morning mentioned if they were inconclusive to get a CT, but I'm not sure of the difference? I guess I am looking outwith the colon area now at surrounding tissues and organs. It's great to be given a clean colon bill of health but not great to be still wondering what on earth is going on. How easy was your diagnosis?

• Posted

The first trip to the ER I had left lower pain, the ER doc immediately sent me to have a CT wth contrast and they diagnosed it immediately as left lower quadrant diverticultis. A few months later I presented again to the ER this time the pain was in my right upper quadrant. US and CT this time confirmed right upper quadrant diverticultis with imporvement of the left lower quadrant previously seen. Since then I have had two more episiodes but all have been on the left side. No further issues with the right. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.