New here, still learning

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 52/female & had what seemed like fairly mild gout pain for a few days, twice in the past year. Then a few weeks ago it came back and is not going away. The pain is primarily in my big toe but there's only slight overall puffiness, not the huge red swollen toe I've seen online. The pain is intense at times but it's not constant. It feels almost like a burning sensation, and sometimes deep achiness with shooting pains. It's peculiar. Shoes hurt a LOT. I don't eat much red meat at all. And I rarely drink alcohol. So I have no clue about triggers. I haven't been to the doctor, not a fan of meds. I thought cherry juice was helping but that turned out to be not true. Help. sad

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like psuedo gout. Don't ask me what this is rather look it up. I get something similar when I eat wheat. Therefore, I've cut out anything that says Wheat. White flour is fine just not wheat bread or wheat cereal or wheat bran of any type. If cherry juice isn't working it's because you need to bromelaine and turmeric to help neutralize the body first. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Teresa

I think this is probably gout due to the fact that it is concentrated in your big toe, and your relatively young age.

Firstly you need to see a doctor - and about a month after an attack you need a blood test for blood urate. Don't bother with a blood test during the attack - it's meaningless.

As for not wishing to take the meds - assuming you do have hyperuricemia - the consequence of not taking treatment will be damage to your arterial system your heart and kidneys....as well as potential damage to your joints and ligaments.

The trigger that you are searching for is a combination of these: menopause, access weight, fructose (sugar) consumption, lack of exercise and genetics. Of those you can only change three. (Additionally you may be taking another drug which is the trigger or you may live in a warm climate.)

In the short term you shoukd drink enough water to make you produce at least two litres of urine per day. You should try colchicine or another drug which will calm the immune system attack. You can try either ice water or hot water or both on your foot - see which works for you.

Long term you are going to need allopurinol, but it's best not to take it until your symptoms have receded. If it makes you feel any better colchecine was originally iscolated from a small crocus bulb.

If you decide to take either colchicine and allopurinol then tell me and I ll give more advice.

If you carry on as you are you'll probably end up with a permanently damage foot joint, which will make walking painful.

I wish you good health Teresa.

• Posted

T, some times meds is all you have. I am on day 49 with gout. I can't eat any meat. Or seafood. 1 drink and I'm done. Even a salad does me in. I can kinda control it with a all veggie diet. But even then i can only get my numbers down to 6.6. I finally went to a Dr. And got colchicine. Much better now. I recommend getting a uric acid tester. You can find them on Amazon. That's what I use to see what my triggers are. Well worth the I investment. I feel your pain all 49 days so far.

• Posted

Good.

As I'm sure you know allopurinol will cause gout so be prepared with colchicine. Watch out for any adverse skin reaction in the first week. If you get one - stop taking g it (very small chance) and seek medical help. After a month you'll probably need to move on to 300mg.

Good luck and good health.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.