New here! Weight loss after Vitamin D Supplementation? Proper D/K2/Magnesium balance?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My Vitamin D has been low for a long time. I had gastric bypass 12 years ago, and that's when it tanked. Quick synopsis -- I lost 30 pounds before surgery and 40 pounds after. Then around the low 230s, I stopped losing. Just nothing no matter what I did. Went back to doctors, dieticians, had tests run. Everything was fine. Except my Vit D and the fact that I couldn't lose weight below 232. It was maddening. No one believed me. The result was that I gave up on my weight loss. I was working SO hard at diet and exercise, and to have someone cut you open and weight loss become HARDER . . . felt like a cruel joke.

I will admit I was angry at my body. I gained back 50 of the 70 pounds I lost. Over the 12 years, I'd try to lose again, and I'd always lose some, but there was always a fear in the back of my head that if/when I hit the 230s, the same thing would happen.

Two years ago, I changed my life. I have been giving an ALL-OUT effort and I have the pictures to prove it. I began working with a personal trainer at a wellness center. I've now done things I've never done in my LIFE, and I do things in the gym most people there don't. I ran a MudRun in November. I push/pull a 203-pound sled for 20 laps. I use Jacob's Ladder -- I never see anyone on it. I am loving how I look and how I feel, but I still have another 50-60 pounds to go.

It's taken me almost two years to lose 50 pounds. It's taken me 4 months to lose 10. I am now back where I was 12 years ago. I weighed 233.4 this morning. And I am back where I was 12 years ago. Struggling to lose, unable to get below 232. Again. And my workout routine is VASTLY different from 12 years ago. So, this is not a coincidence.

My metabolism (or something) is refusing to let me get below 232, no matter what I do with my calories. Well -- I'm not saying no matter what I do, because I'm not going to eat 600 calories a day. That's the absolutely WORST thing I could do, because there's nowhere else to go once your weight slows. On avereage, I probably eat 1700-1800 calories a day. The last few weeks, I even sharply lowered my carbohydrates. Nothing.

Now, my Vitamin D has been low all this time (it's at 17) -- the entire last two years of this effort. So, while did lose weight, it's been slooooow. And now it's come to a complete halt. Twelve years ago, I asked my doctor whether Vitamin D can cause difficulty with weight loss. I was told no. But I read online otherwise.

To make things even more complicated, I also don't have a gallbladder. So. I don't absorb nutrients because of the gastric bypass, and I don't absorb fats well because of not having a gallbladder. AND I'm low in Vitamin D and Vitamin A (not sure what that level is -- the doctor just told me to take Beta Carotene).

So . . . here are my questions.

1. Has anyone else had difficulty losing weight and then saw success after Vitamin D supplementation?

2. What is the proper supplementation/dosage for Vitamin D, Magnesium and K2 MK7? My doctor has me on 50,000 ius 1x week for 12 weeks. I have 6 to go. I'm unclear on whether there are specific dosages and I'd like to get a clear explanation before buying anything.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Doctors usually know best, but there are exceptions on that. Just follow the doctors advice and if things are not going well, tell the doctor. All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.