New here with question about possible Shingles in left leg?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am hopeful that someone here can help me! About 6 hours ago, I noticed a sharp, stabbing pain in my left knee area. I didn't think anything of it, until I noticed that there is pain if something gently touches the skin. It is hard to describe but the pain is more surface level, but does shoot inward. I would say it is from my upper calf, through the knee, to about 2 inches above the knee. As I started to research Dr. Google, I came across the term Allodynia, which describes it to a T. Then, I looked at the dermatomes and it is practically identical to the L4 location. I am a 49 year old female. No rash other than one small bump on the front of my kneecap. Of course, with the COVID-19 situation, I don't want to race to the doctor, but would love to start the anti-virals if necessary. Does this sound like Shingles? If so, when would the rash appear? Thanks for any and all guidance!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

LDear Mary,

As you have allodynia, plus pain in the L-4 dermatome, plus a vesicle in the area of L-4 dermatome, I would seek medical attention. It certainly sounds like Herpes Zoster-Shingles to me. The earlier you start antiviral medication, the earlier it will start working. Valcyclovir and Famciclovir are more efficacious than acyclovir, as there is less drug resistance.

Please see a clinician ASAP.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States. I have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles every 3 weeks in my right ear, mouth, and throat for the past 24 years, and my right scalp for the past two years. I also had it twice in my right eye.

Best Regards

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you so much! My symptoms are a bit better today. Still pain when I put pressure on it, but not much pain on its own. I will definitely head in, though, if it worsens.

• Edited

Hi, i also have left-sided shingles. I woke up with what started as pain in my hip, which radiated down through my thigh to my foot over the next few days. Very debilitating, kept me up most nights. Then 5 days later i noticed a rash on my leg, foot, some patches on my torso, all on the left side. Doctor confirmed shingles and prescribed Valtrex.The rash has gotten worse, more painful and i generally feel exhausted. I usually work out every day, but based on what I have read here, I have stopped that altogether at least for now.I doubt , had I gone to the doctor before the rash appeared, that shingles would have been diagnosed. My symptoms were more like muscle or joint pains associated with arthritis, which I have. Yours sounds like shingles to me based on my 2 day experience (!), and since you have a bit of a rash (bump) already i would go seek medical advice and get your anti-viral meds. PS. I am an active, healthy 65 y old.

good luck

• Posted

Thank you! I will definitely head in if the rash develops. The one spot I have is skin colored without a red background. I don't think doctors would diagnose Shingles quite yet. I am glad you were able to get the anti-virals going!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.