New hip replacement at airport security

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello all. I am off on holiday next week and I assume my new hip replacement will set off airport security scanners. What is anyone's experience of this please. I have read that proof of having had a hip replacement is not necessary, but just to let them know. Will I get a separate wand scanning or a body scan? Feel a bit nervous. I am travelling from a UK airport. Many thanks.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

i flew from East Midlands Airport last week and my new hips were detected going through the scanner. No great problem, I was pulled to one side and was frisked and then scanned with them using a hand held scanner. Both of my new hips were also detected on the handheld scanner. I explained and was then waved through. Only took an extra few minutes.

C

• Posted

hi sarah

dont worry you wont set off the alarm however some scanners do been away lots since my op couple of years ago. some airports ask if anyone has replacements others you all go through the same one. its hit and miss.

enjoys your hols

julie

• Posted

Hi,

Only have experience of Gatwick. You set xray machine off. Then you have to take your shoes off and they go through a separate scanner. You have to stand in another scanner with your hands in air. When you come out of that you get a full body search and are gone over with the wand as well.

On way home from Majorca there was nothing. Just walked through xray machine.

Good luck and enjoy your holiday.

• Posted

This year I have set off the scanners at Gatwick all three times I've been through. Bit of an extra stress trying to keep your eye on your belongings when they are whisked away at high speed while you have the extra frisking. The first time (6 weeks and 4 days after my op) I told them I physically could not take off my own shoes so if they needed to come off they'd have to take them off for me. They changed their minds. At Chania (Crete) twice they have not been set off. At Gran Canaria airport I set them off again. So in my experience it's a bit hit and miss!

Joan

• Posted

hi Sarah,

good luck with hip and new life!

so yes, did get a doctor letter, never been asked to show it.

airport security very friendly and professional.

some airports do not even go beep over hip, most do.

all seem to do things differently, but relax.

mic

exeter

DEVON

• Posted

flew from Heathrow this year just set of scanner they just ran the wand over my hip after I told them of replacement which they found on the wand and just waved me through so don't worry.Easy.

• Posted

tell them ahead of time and yes if there is a full body scanner working go threw that one . if they pull you aside they will get your belongings for you. they are really good about it so don't worry. I forgot to tell them one time and everyone came running when alarm went off my mistake . enjoy your trip I have a knee and hip replacement so double trouble . enjoy and have fun

• Posted

Sarah,

Thousands of people have had new hips/knees, security at airports are used to it, it is perfectly normal now. Just say new hip, might use a wand, certainly nothing to worry about.

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I have set off the scanner each time I go through in a UK airport, and as the others have said they just ask you to go through x-ray scanner or wave the wand over you. Travelling back from Zankythos last year the security team asked me if I was sure I had a replacement as I had clearly set something off, but when they then used the wand scanners told me I must be mistaken and just looked at me like I was some poor deluded soul! I have ceramic parts so I don't know if that might be why there is variation

• Posted

HI Sarah

I too worried about going through airport security after my hip replacement and have set off the scanner each time . I to have had to go through scanners with hands in the air i just mention about hip replacement . Airports are used to it and dont make a big deal about it. I have been abroad twice since op and had no problems in the uk or in lisbon or spain. There is nothing to worry about it just takes a few extra moments for you to get through and I now feel it is the norm

Have a great holiday

• Posted

Sometimes the scanner goes off, and sometimes it doesn't.... it's very variable. When they use the wand I just mention my hip. It's nothing to worry about.

Have a great holiday!

• Posted

probably depends on the airport but I have flown a number of times and you just tell them you have a thr and they use a different scanner, the one you walk through.

• Posted

Hi

I flew from Newcastle 4.5 months post surgery and set off the scanner. As others have said, just got an extra 'wanding' and then in the body scanner. The lady was very professional and pleasant. I wore flip flops so didn't worry about bending to put shoes back on. I sent other half through first, thinking he could pick the bags up, but he set off the scanner too (!!) so had to go in the body scanner itself. On the way back from Turkey when through scanners a number of times, but didn't set anything off. Enjoy your holiday, hopefully pain free.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.