New idea to treat IBS - D?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

So I've been struggling with symptoms for a good 5-8 years now. I'd say I suffer from IBS D, but it's a bit more complicated. I get trapped wind on a daily basis and have the urgent need for the toilet 5-6 times a day (loose stools...But I wouldn't say it's D really). I take Imodium Plus Comfort sometimes before I'm going out, but it can leave me constipated the next day.

One thing I've found is that when I do have diarrhoea or an upset stomach (mostly in the mornings), I then find that I've cleared out my whole system so don't need to go again for a majority of the day. So I was thinking, would it make sense to take a laxative or perhaps coffee (I know that stimulates it, I don't drink coffee personally) in order to get the bowel moving in the morning so then I'm OK for the rest of the day?

Would love to know your thoughts and suggestions!

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Personally, I would not take a laxative unless you are constipated.
  • Posted

When I was diagnosed with IBS over 35 years ago, I was told that stress can cause IBS and a high fibre diet would help sort it out (advocating 30g of fibre a day). I would suggest eating more fibre instead of using medication. You also need to drink plenty of fluid in order to ‘bulk’ your stool when eating fibre.   Caffeine is the last thing you should drink if you have IBS as it irritates your intestines. (Also smoking and alcohol can have a similar effect). A low FODMAP diet would help you highlight foods which might cause your symptoms - there’s plenty of information on line on this subject). Taking medication for diarrhoea on a regular basis is just setting yourself up for worse problems in the future.  Look to your diet instead for long term solutions.
  • Posted

I'd stay away from laxatives, I think my IBS got worst because of it.

Gas - that's a constant problem for me. I found a good workaround for almost half a year now, I wake up and drink warm water. It kinda soothes my tummy and helps me have a good bm. Less gas too!

If in any event I get anxious or stressed out - i drink lemonaid, this is from an online store, it's casa de sante. It's a mix of lemon, ginger, turmeric and other stuff which i think is great! It helps me with my bloating, i hate bloating ...

Hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.