New Job, New Illness!!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone

I wonder if anyone can direct me or even give me any information...

I started a new job and within 5 weeks I had a heart attack, I then went into hospital and was told that my left artery was narrowed because of a blockage (blood clot). I was sent home after a few days with a Stent and lots of meds, 2 being blood thinners. I took 2 weeks off work as advised by cardiac team, then I returned on a phased return to work and had a return to work meeting were my line manager asked me to read the sickness/absence policy, feeling quite embarrassed that I had only started working for them a few weeks ago and I went on sick. I read the policy really quick. Then we agreed that I would only work 24hrs over 3days. Following this, I worked for 1 week and on speaking to HR and my manager I was told that although in the policies it states that I wold not be entitled to any pay, I could write a request letter to HR and request full pay because of the nature of the illness and more than likely they don't decline.

I wrote the letter and called HR letting them know I was back at work, they then told me not to be worried because my job is safe and my pay will be fine because more than likely I would get paid full pay.

After my first week back, during the weekend I had a Menorrhagia which caused me to go into A&E in an ambulance, turned out that this could be due to taking Blood Thinners for my heart. Anyway, I had a blood transfusion and on more meds to control the bleeding until further investigation.

I then spoke to my HR and manager and told them this had happened and again i was told don't worry it will be fine. I wold get paid for the hours I've worked and the rest could either be classed as holidays or SSP. Now, leaving the hospital I have received a letter from HR stating that the only thing I would get is SSP (£98 or so).

I am now extremely worried, confused, stressed because obviously I wont be able to afford anything. I don't know whether I can get anything along with SSP.

Please can anyone advice me on what I should do or can do

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

my husband had a heart attack on May 1st this year. They diagnosed multiple blocked arteries and he was told he had to have quadruple bypass surgery. He then had to wait three months to be admitted and has had another three months recovering. From the first day sick (he was taken to hospital from work on the day it happened) he has received nil sick pay and only SSP. He was told he couldnt get any other financial help because I work, so we've had to survive for six months on one salary, with mortgage, bills, etc etc. and no other support. We've both worked solid for nearly 50 years (I'm just over 64 and he's 64 next month) paid taxes and NI contributions all that time non stop and unable to claim a penny. Given how short a time you've been employed by this job, it's not unreasonable of them to restrict sick pay to be honest. If you have no savings and no other income, you may be able to get some additional help, you'll need to contact social services.

• Posted

I forgot to say - he's been employed with his current employer for nearly five years.

• Posted

Are you in the UK?

In a Trade Union?

Suggest you read your contract very carefully; seek (free) legal advice. Most solicitors offer the first 30 minutes free of charge.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.