New Kidney Stone patient

Posted , 5 users are following.

New to kidney stones and was recently diagnosed with a small kidney stone, and this was Three weeks ago! I haven't passed to my knowledge any kidney stone but for the past Two weeks I've been pain free. Tonight the pain is SO bad does anyone why the pain has come back ? The pain is to the back on left hand side where it started 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that Christina2.  I would get an ultrasound to see if the stone is still inside.  When it passes, you will know.  I'm speaking from a "men's" point of view.

I have a 4MM inside my body for 32 days.  During this period, I only experienced 2 - half days of pain (thank you God for that.)  Both half day pains were bad.  The rest of the 30 days I'm pain free, just a little sore here and there.

As each week passes, I can feel the pain move from lower back to front stomach.  The last week was pain free but I feel like I need to pee all the times.  

• Posted

Thankyou for replying. 

The pain is on behalf of friend (male) the pain was side but more back, but pain is now more centralised in the body, but yet in same place 

• Posted

I have been through this too many times to count now. I have received many opinions from doctors as to why they will quit hurting then restart later. This one seemed the most logical and I have ran with it.

The major pain is from a complete or nearly complete blockage and backs urine up into the kidney. The stone may move further down or in a different position so that fluid can get by it and the pain subsides. The stone then hangs around because fluid is not pushing it on out.

It seems like to me, the smaller stones take forever to come out. They can also cause intermittent pain (not the OH DEAR LORD I AM DYING pain) that can be rather ... I guess the word is depressing. You can just feel this nagging dull thing and you know it is not right. 

For me, and I have heard others say the same, is when it gets close to the bladder it can cause very sharp stabbing pain right before it goes in, you also feel like you need to pee all the time.

Just know that what you feel is most likely normal.

Take Care.

• Posted

I forgot to add, that sometimes the stone blocks the tube again and the pain can start all over again. I think many people have this concept that these things are round. Some might be but all of them I have had are not, they are usually kinda oblong and very rough, so they get hung up easy. The last one I passed was shaped like a stinking fishing hook, believe it or not (thankfully it was only about 2mm long).

Drink lots of water and take care.

• Posted

Water for sure.  I down 6 liters of water a day for 32 days.  My doctor say it won't help much.  I still down them.

• Posted

I think you must still have it. I spent 2 days I hospital 6 months ago. I still get every few weeks the pain in the bottom right back and need to wee more. It's such a long process waiting to see if I still have it. Had another ct scan 6 weeks ago and still waiting for results 😭😭 I have had a blood test to confirm no kidney damage but had this pain on and for 6 months. Hope your process is much quicker. But yes sounds like it has not been passed.

• Posted

Hello christina ...please dont wait too long before going to the er. I battled stones for months. I am not a doctor...but having the same thing happen to me, i believe my doctor said that the stone can cover the urine tube by moving and great pain ensues
  • Posted

I think you would know if you had passed it.

Pain comes and goes because stone moves slightly. This is exactly what happened with me when i had kidney stones. I had them removed by keyhole surgery at beginning of December last year.

Have you seen a urologist? This is the next thing to do.

Do take care and keep in t ouch

Sarah xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.