New knee

Posted , 5 users are following.

Help I don't know what to do been told I have to have a new knee but because I am only 42 he is reluctant to do it and told me about the outcome and what could happen in the future but he said he will leave the decision upto me I have started injections in my knee to see if this helps. I am beside myself with the pain and I can't walk its taken over my life I have had to give up work I really don't know what todo.

2 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

  • Posted

    Take the surgery and get rid of your pain.

    I have been in lots of pain with my fingers. Have had two joint replacements and now pain free, its heaven.

    Why would you continue to be in pain. The surgeon warned me that I am young and the joint won't last but I would much rather have years of no pain than suffer. When the joint breaks, it breaks, but that is sometime in the future. Knees are different and technology is improving all the time. Go for it.

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      I was thinking about it but when thw surgeon said by the time I am 65 if it all goes wrong my leg will have to be amputated I was in shock plus I will have to have the other knee done too.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      What are the chances of it going wrong? Have you heard of anyone  with an amputation because of knee replacement, google and find the number. I suspect its very small indeed. These days they have to advise you of all the risks but they can be extremley rare.

      There is about a 10% chance that my finger joint will break. I look at the 90% figure not the 10%.

      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      What an awful thing to say to you.  No wonder you feel reluctant.  Is there any reason to think it will go wrong?  If I was you I would have the operation.  You don't want more years of pain.  You are young and want your life back. 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      He said because of my age I will have to have another one at around 50 and the second one never goes as well as the first and then another at 60 by then it may not work at all I will end up in a wheel chair having my leg amputated but I have a clotting disorder too keep getting clots in my legs the knee I have to have done first I have 3 blood clots in that leg now.

      He said its down to me. I have had to give up work now and my anxiety and depression as hit rock bottom I cant handle anything I have been awarded esa just waiting to here about pip but hearing some horrible storys about people not getting it. My son as taken over everything he looks after me now and it breaks my heart I should be looking after him xxx

      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hello Barbara,  I had my first knee replacement when i was 39 and it was replaced again at 52. If you are struggling to walk then go for it,  your young and want to walk and be pain free.  I had no trouble with my first knee replacement, my revision one i have had nerve pain.  I would be in a wheelchair if i had not had them done.  

    I hope this helps you to decide.

    Best wishes.

    Elizabeth.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi Barbara, go for it.....get rid of the pain and get on with your life. Medical issues are advancing at a terrific rate, and if in the future if  you need more attention, it will be far superior than today's. I have replacements and always waited too long and then wished I,d done it sooner.

    good luck........

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Medical advances are an important point to remember. A friend of mine had to have her hip redone due to the metal issue. She now has much more movement than she did before.

    I would go for it, get your life back, feel happy because you can get around and worry about the knee having to be redone later. Remember that part of that will be down to you and if you abuse it wears more. I assume you won't be running 10 miles a day on it .....  I am trying to be pretty careful with my new finger joint as I have been warned its not designed for my lifestyle so I won't be taking up karate!

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Have you considered seeing another surgeon? I don't know your guy, but he seems pretty shaky about doing surgery!

    You need someone who will guide you and give you the best information. If you need surgery, YOU NEED SURGERY!

    My home care PT had both knees replaced four years ago when SHE was 42. You should see how she flits around helping me with my exercises! She said she was hardly able to MOVE before her surgery!

    Each person is unique. Each knee is unique. I had my left knee done six weeks ago, and now it is MY GOOD KNEE! I go this week for my 6 week check-up, and I am anxiously awaiting to hear when I can schedule my RIGHT KNEE for surgery!

    My knees began hurting at 30. I have done the dog and pony show with PT, injections, and more exercise that insurance requires before you are BAD ENOUGH to require surgery. If it werecupnto me I probably should have had surgery about 10 years ago when I was 54.

    Go find another opinion and another doctor who isn't making you feel unsure and unsupported. Get rid of your pain!

    (Our neighbor was just diagnosed with OSTEOARTHRITIS at age 17! You can BET he will be getting knee replacements sooner than later!)

    Keep us posted on your progress, OK?

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up