New knee clicking

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 7 weeks post op and just finished my first week back to work (part-time). The week before I returned to work I began experiencing a consistent popping in my new knee. It doesn't hurt really, it just makes me aware. It happens probably 10 out of 12 steps. At the same time my left hip (same side as my TKR knee) became a little tender from time to time. I visited my chiropractor and told him my left knee feels like it's longer. He checked it out and said yes it is a little longer. He made an adjustment and told me not to worry it might settle down. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I'm back to modified yoga and walking on my treadmill 20 mins a day alternately with my stationary bike. The hot tub has become my new best friend!

I just wonder when I'll honestly be able to say I'm glad I did this and be ready for my other knee!!!

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,

I was told if your feeling a click behind your knee then it's working properly and your walking properly.

It's the locking mechanism that's clicking.

Anywhere else I'd say talk to your surgeon.

• Posted

Hi Tammy, I can honestly say this is my 1st big problem in over 2years, i really didnt experience any real pain other than immediatly post op, so much so i was prepared to have second knee done just 5 months after. This recovery was even better and  quicker. I hope you resolve your problem and hope  you have a sucessful second knee replaement. Good Luck.

• Posted

Hi Susan, just read your thread and it filled me with hope, I'm due to have a TKR done on my right knee in the next 10 weeks, all the threads I have read I have taken on board and prepared myself for some real tough times ahead, and while I still believe that, when I read your post it made me smile, can I ask what painkillers you were on? yours is the first I have read that filled me with hope.

Any advice you could give me would be very much appreciated.

Shirley

• Posted

Hi Shirleyann, I was prescribed Ibuprofen and CoCodamol post op, but i stopped the latter as soon as i could and took just paracetamol. All I can advise is do as much exercise pre op to strengthen the leg, it does help as does post op excercise. I attend a mobility gym 2/3 times a week and reallu enjoy being with people with similar problems

Im really at a loss as to why my 1st replacement is giving me problems at the moment but is under investigation and i hope to get it resolved soon.

​Hope all goes well for you, good luck

• Posted

Hi Tammy, I can honestly say that this is the first time i have suffered real pain other than immediately post op. So much so i had my second knee replaced just 5 months after 1st, this was a quicker recovery than the 1st one and i was back in the gym just 3 weeks post op. No probs with this one and i hope i dont have !!! . This pain is on a par with post op pain i cant bend, lift or weight bear at moment. Im back to doing all the basic excercise, elevation, ice and rest. Good Luck
    • Posted

Susan, did you have any setbacks with first knee after having second one done? I was doing really well with first knee, 3 1/2 moths out had Thanksgiving for 25 with no problem. Had second knee done on Nov 30 and now having pain in first knee.
    • Posted

Hi, No problems until now, I had my 2nd TKR 5months after 1st, So I have gone 21 months  without a setback. Even though i have this problem now I am so glad I had them both replaced.
  • Posted

Yes, with both knees. Once you start walking naturally and your knee is not swollen, it will stop. All of a sudden you won't notice it or feel it. Everything will align correctly knee will stop clicking and hip (my lower back) will stop hurting. Hang in there!

• Posted

I hope so.  Almost 11 months and I don't think it's ever going to be gone.  Small price to pay...

• Posted

Loved reading this! And actually-today was my first day on bus duty. I did so much walking I forgot all about it! My hip wasn't as sore today either! I feel like a light of hope has shined down on me!

• Posted

Every time I move my leg my knee clicks and crunches :-( it scares me after 6 months tkr.
    • Posted

Welcome to the club.  At 11 months, I still have the sound.  Doc says it can take 12-18 months to go away...or not at all.  Who knows...
    • Posted

Chico when i went to the PT today she taped my knee with two different tapes and showed me how to keep my knee in place. it feels ok right now. my ortho told me come back in 3 months and if it is not better he will have to go in and reconstruct it. the PT said make sure you do you exercises and ice it and also that almost everyone has the clicking after and that it will go away.
    • Posted

I am now 14 months and despite what people told me on here about doing exercises,which i did religiously,I am the same. Every little movement of my leg. I am on the setteee now and when I get up I will feel the click,maybe even hear it. But no pain from it so I am not gonna worry. Xray in March. I dont want the other knee doing so hope it outlives me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.