New knee looks fantastic on xray but....

Posted , 13 users are following.

....still very painful on walking eight months down the line. The consultant said the new knee looks fantastic but it is still very painful.He said just to keep on walking. I wish I could but it is so painful. To make matters worse my left knee is now playing up more. The past few days I have found walking very difficult and painful. The doctor just seems to agree with the consultant, keep walking on it. Is this it then? Will I always be walking with a painful new knee or will it improve with time? 

I thought all the pain would be in the past now. It's worse than it was before.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Doctors seem to stick together. Your new knee may 'Look' fantastic, but what it looks like is not really very relevant. What you want is a pain free joint,  . . .I think you have every reason to be worried at eight months and more investigation needs to be done. I do so hope that there is not a serious problem, but as terri says when doctors say there is nothing wrong, it doesn't mean that they are right.  fingers crossed. . . 

• Posted

Thank you for those intelligent words.

I agree - they keep saying my new knee looks good on x-ray but one size does not fit all and my body is having a hard time adjusting to this new knee. Maybe it's out of line - maybe it's a bog standard prosthetic - a number of which were going cheap somewhere. I mean it wasn't bespoke was it?

They do buy them in bulk don't they??

Saying that he did seem a bit cagey with the results of the knee scan.

He said I had a lot of muscle wastage in the knee area/ didn't have that before the op and surely it would have shown up on another knee scan I had before the op-

• Posted

Strangely, I've heard several people who had bespoke prosthesis who were not at all happy with the results!  Not properly alligned (and it apparently only takes a tiny misalignment) certainly can cause permanent pain.  i hope it is not that. . . bt whatever it is, you need an answer.  Is it possible to insist on a second opinion, from someone who is not your surgeon or your GP???  Even then, they do tend to stick together. . . . but may be worth a try. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.