New Maneuver for SVT is GREAT! Modified Valsalva

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ok, maybe it's not new, but I believe the modified valsalva maneuver has only been documented in the last 2 years. 

A brief history on my SVT - I'm 48 and just made my second ER visit for SVT. I've had many, many episodes lasting from 15 seconds to over 3 hours, and although it has happened at many different times, it happens most often when I'm sleeping or just falling asleep.

My 3+ hour episode last week prompted an ER visit and I feared another round of the horrid adenosine. But the doctor first wanted to try a relatively new procedure he called a modified valsalva. I was sceptical as nothing I'd tried at home worked: valsalva (bearing down by holding mouth & nose closed & trying to blow out), ice water on my face, burpees, relaxing on my right side with knees pulled up. I won't be able to accurately explain the procedure so please search it on the internet - but in a nutshell, it was the regular valsalva maneuver while sitting partially upright for 15 seconds immediately followed by laying my head flat and elevating my legs to 45 degrees. 

IT WORKED!! My heart rate went immediately from 190 to 90 and then stabilized around 102. No IV! No adenosine! And this is something we can all do at home! The documented success rate of the normal valsalva is 17% - the modified version is 43%! If you find yourself in the midst of an SVT episode, try it! (But seriously, search it first and watch it in action.)

SVT is scary, no doubt. But having a reliable solution I can do at home is a huge comfort!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.