New med trial for possible seronegative RA diagnosis

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi new to RA group, My Rheumatologist suspect I might have seronegative RA and I'm currently taking low dose prednisone with Arava for treatment. I just started a week ago. I was told it could take up to 2 weeks to get into the system. I would like to know how effect Arava has been with treating RA symptoms? I had a trial of prednisone 60mg and tapered. While taking it my hands, wrist and left hips pain was relieved that is why I'm taking Arava.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Arava worked wonders for me, 10mg I can tolerate, but gives me diarrhea, known side effect apparently.

Found I could take it at night, then in the morning when i get up keep the toilet clear, family learn't after being abused roundly by me.

Once I have been OK for the rest of the day.

20mg worked even better, that as I understand it from my chemist is the more regular dose, I am their only patient who is taking 10mg, so they have questioned me why the Rheumo has me on it, because I do not tolerate 20mg at all, high blood pressure, rare but known side effect, I was one of the first to report this when it was a new drug in Australia.

You may have psorasis arthiritis, do you have psorasis on your skin, thats what the Rheumo tells me I have, have had psorasis my entire life, but even come back negative in a psorasis genetic tests, not unusual apparently.

Rheumo has me on 6000mg odourless fish oil a day, 6 x 1000mg capsules, they do help with the tighness of joints, bonus side effects micro lines around eyes and lips have lessened.

Only disadavntage I have found is I must take them with food, otherwise I get a little reflux, fishy taste in mouth when I burp, not unbearable just not very nice.

• Posted

I haven't been on this site for a while. Thanks for responding. I currently being treated for seronegative rheumatoid arthritis. I take arava 20mg still and prednisone. My rheumatologist is gonna try Enbrel injections because of ineffectiveness of medication. The fish oil might cause diarrhea. I know my mother in law says it make her have diarrhea. I take 2000mg a day. No diarrhea for me I have issues with constipation.

• Posted

Fish oil causes me no problems even at the very high doses I'm on, Krill oil, nightmare of indigestion and big probelms, stomach pain.

I'm not the only one either neighbour had same probelm with Krill Oil, and Dr's had her on antacids, she talked to me, and I suggested she give up the Krill oil, problem solved in a few days, neither of us could believe it. 

Has your Dr tried methotrextrate, gold standard and works very well for me.

Seronegative RA, same as me, I notice the more wheat products I eat the worse my RA is, but I come back negative for celiac tests.

I have come to believe some products make me worse and others make me better, rice seems to be OK, also Oats, and corn but I eat as little wheat based products as possible.

• Posted

Different medications work differently for different people that's really all you need to know.   There is no one  RA medication that works for all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.