New medication

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone  taking Gabapentin had side effects  when 1st taking tis drug,, have dizzinous ,feel out of this world and very bad RLS, according to leaflet  may take sometime for this medication to work. I just want relief from this debilating illness for all  of us. at long last my Doctor is taking an interest in RLS for which I am so grateful for

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I've had co-ordination/distance-judgment problems with it – walked into a door jam, missed the mug when pouring water into it from kettle. Worse than alcohol really; with the latter you feel and know you are intoxicated. Also had the worst syncope I've ever had while taking it. It did not help my RLS.
    • Posted

That is I walked into the door frame/post (door jamb) rather than going through the door – not into a door that wouldn't open (which I might well do without gabapentin!).
    • Posted

Thanks for your coments. It is now 4.55 am and  my whole body is shaking uncontrolable. after 3 days of taking gabapentin, side effects pointed out on patient leaflet, but tells you to carry on taking them as they will improve after a few days, Have had about 4 hours sleep in 3 nights, feel absolutely dreadful, never had problems with ropinorole, pramipexole, patches. Doing stupid things, putting cake in freezer, removed light bulbs and others. Ringing my Doctor Monday not taking any more but I expect terrible withdrawal symptons, couldn't be worse than what I am experiencing now! couldn't finish this post at 5.30 as I couldn't type, just finished it now!
    • Posted

The distance-judgement problems did cease after a while although I had been taking them some time when I had the syncope. Eventually, I stopped taking them (after telling my doctor) because they seemed to be doing absolutely nothing for me. I stopped taking them gradually and I didn't experience any withdrawal symptoms but I doubt they would have amounted to much if I'd stopped cold turkey.

Whatever, it seems to me it's quite a powerful drug in some ways – it's used for postoperative pain control.

• Posted

Gabapentin had really bad effects on me. Was originally prescribed for bad headaches plus RLS and worked for a while but couldn't wait to stop. Come off slowly though! Dopamine agonists worked well for a while with some side effects but soon reached tolerance. Now on Tramadol an opiate that isn't supposed to be addictive, working fine at the moment .
  • Posted

When I started taking it, I noticed some urinary hesitancy.  I did not notice the other effects, and I'm not sure it's helping my RLS, because I take tramadol at the same time.  This is also known as Ekbom's disorder.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.