New medication - quetiapine 100mg - any good?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I'm currently on propronanlol 40mg one a day, for a recent bout of bad anxiety / mood swings. Did feel for a while I wasn't getting the benefit of them but last couple of days feeling bit better combined with regular sleep pattern / eating better / exercise etc. however I have been quite down lately / tired but not all the time, comes and goes. I was referred to the psychiatrist by my GP with a view to anti depressants and after a thorough chat he recommended a short course of quetiapine 100mg with a view to increase over the coming days, and to come off the propronanlol. Then if feeling better to come off them slowly. I was just wondering if this is worth taking? I'm quite scared of taking them as don't want to become a walking zombie / side effects and I've got a lot of work events coming up this week etc, that i want to be on good form for. Also don't want to get too "high" again as I feel the propronanlol has calmed me a fair bit. Also with holidays etc coming up don't want to be the one on tablets not having a good time, also don't want to be on tablets for a long time. Considering a second opinion before taking them or consulting GP, any input appreciated as this is a huge decision for me thanks Paul  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paul, I found Propranolol made me very tired and id be constantly yawning all day and feeling like id not had a proper nights sleep even though id get 7+ hours a night.

I currently take 80mg slow release up to twice a day when I need a second tablet, I've gradually taken my dose later and later to see if this made any difference.

I now take it on a night (after my tea) instead of a morning and I've found im sleeping much better, feeling refreshed in the morning with more 'get up and go', no more yawning throughout the day, its made a big difference so far. I just wondered if you'd tried taking yours at different times during the day to see which time works best for you? Could be an idea.

Danielle

P.S I'm also currently on an antidepressant (venlafaxine) aswel as the beta blocker and both work really well together for me. I take them both for depression and anxiety and panic disorders.

• Posted

Hi Danielle, I've recently started taking Effexor again and am up to 75mg. Have been have some stomach trouble from it but only been on for 10 days at that dose. I'm also trying to start taking propranalol regulary (20 in the morning and 20 at night). I have trouble holding a job due to my anxiety. When I work, I get so anxious that after a few weeks it turns into depression, too. Anyway, I hope the Effexor helps at higher dosage. 

I'm just wondering how you're doing? Are you still taking the effexor and propranalol? Are they still working?

Just curious, as I think this might be a good combo for me, too!

Thanks if you can reply!  Lisa

• Posted

Thanks Danielle, think I'm just scared of tablets in general being a young guy. Agree proponalol makes me tired too, spaced out also at times / concentration an issue, take it in the morning but was thinking about changing to tea time see if makes a difference. Scared of the quetiapine though seems excessive and worried about side effects etc. consider antidepressants as not myself just now but not keen on something too strong / overpowering as have work etc and a life to live! Going to discuss with GP / doctor ASAP just hard to find the right balance! Thanks smile
    • Posted

Well im only 24 and I wouldn't call that old lol

I've suffered with panic attacks for 8 years now and I was completely anti-drug up until 4 months ago when id had enough, was at my wits end and didn't know how else to deal with it all.

RE: meds for work - No matter what antidepressant you decide on you will start at the lowest dose anyway and choose when and if you want to up the dose after a few weeks of being in the low dose. All known antidepressants have a 4-8 week period where you will experience side effects i.e worsening of your condition. Only after this period will you see benefits so no matter which you choose I'm afraid all antidepressants are going to have some effect on your work, depends on the person to how much of an effect it has, I had to take a month sick off of work as my panic attacks went through the roof whilst my antidepressant was settling in.

I cant say I've heard of this other medication you're on about so can't really give an opinion on it.

Just remember with Propranolol to slowly take it later and later day by day, don't do it immediately or it may have side effects, I don't know.

Just be careful

I'm currently on the highest dose of Propranolol and second to highest on my antidepressant (150mg).

Please do give it some real thought. My 2 tablets work great together and do for a lt of people, its a proven good combination.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.