New medications for COPD

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been taking Spiriva for 4 yers now, (along with the empty capsules lol!) plus Symbicort.  Last week the nurse changed my mediction to:

Pulmicort Turbohaler 400 and Oxis 12 Turbuhaler. 

For the life of me I cannot seem to inhale anything at all from the Pulmicort at all. Has anyone else experienced this?

I am wondering WHY they have changed my medication............ could it be financial,  or am I being cynical!  

I Would love to hear from other people about this and if they feel the same.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

If you had no problems with the previous medication, why accept a change without asking why?   I haven't heard of Pulmicort, maybe it's new?   Have you checked the manufacturer's leaflet and/or your pharmacist to make sure you're using it properly?
    • Posted

Hello Jude, Thanks for the reply, Yes I am using the inhaler correctly, its exactly the same as the other one I used.  I will ask the nurse when I see her why the change, I THINK....she mentioned something like the new thinking is that  steroids aren't needed now.... but I will check with her. 

• Posted

Surely the inclusion of "cort" in the name indicates it's another cortisone?  ie steroids?    I've heard of no "new thinking" along those lines and if anyone tries to take my Symbicort away from me will be in very big trouble!  Without it I cough so much I get no sleep ....

Have you checked the manufacturer's specifications on the internet and compared them with those of Symbicort?   If it's an improved form of cortisone I'm interested, otherwise not.

• Posted

I would ask them for an explanation as to why the change in meds.  Also next time

you are with the nurse maybe to an inhalation with her to see if you are doing it

correctly.  Good luck with it.

• Posted

Good question...I take Spiriva too and would like to know the answer. But clearly I think you should ask the Dr himself why he changed it. Is it you, or money, or what? Try to feel free to ask these things in your appts bc of course its your right to know and understand changes and why. Keep us posted....ladyjack51

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.