New meds and hair loss

Posted , 7 users are following.

can anyone shed light , I have been put on dronedrone twice a day , I started these 7 weeks ago and although the AF is a bit better I seem to be losing my hair , this is the last tablet they want me to try then they suggest an ablation ...this terrifies me as I heard you have to be awake and I don't think I can do this ...thanks in advance 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Can't find any reference to Dronedrone so can't check for side effects.

You need to talk to your electophysiologist as to how the ablation will be performed as this will affect anasthesia and explain your anxiety

• Posted

Hi Betty,

Regarding your ablation, If you have Atrial Flutter they will give you a sedation, so you will be totally out of it. If it's Atrial Fibulation you will have a general anaesthetic.

I recently had an ablation for Atrial Flutter and had no sedation, the first time they had ever done one without.

Good luck with yours.

Ken.

• Posted

Thank you , I am just a big scardie cat ...I hope not to have this done but if these new tablets don't agree with me I will have to give it a go ...
    • Posted

It's atrial  fibulation I have ...I am not a brave person at all ...
  • Posted

Hi Betty, I had an ablation for AFib about 6 weeks ago and I would certainly be very willing to have another if necessary. I was "awake", but sedated, but on a fluid drip so paikillers could be administered as necessary. I don't remember anything from about halfway through the procedure! I am sure you will be fine if you need an ablation and will have the opportunity to chat it all through with your Consultant beforehand.

Dronedarone is a medication derived from Amiodorone with the aim of reducing the latter's side effects. NICE judged that it was not cost effective, but it is used wideley in America. If hair loss is not mentioned as a side effect on the leaflet with your medication it may mean that it is very rare. There should be a telephone number on the leaflet enabling you to talk to the manufacturer's help line. It's worth a try. Best wishes

• Posted

Thank you for your reply ..I will re read the leaflet that comes in the pack ...I need to have a long chat to my heart Dr about what I can do to help me ...
  • Posted

I had awful experiences with Amioderon and Dronedrone , so refused to take them. I'm on Digoxin 1.25mcg and Bisoprolol 10mg. Have you tried any of these Betty? As for ablation, I've had two and both under general anaesthetic and also had 4 Cardio Versions. Sadly none of these worked for my AF. About two weeks ago I took myself (without an appointment) to my Cardiac clinic and insisted on seeing someone because I felt really unwell AGAIN (Unknowingly I was in Heart Failure). The lovely doctor suggested another ablation but I said no. He then suggested a Pacemaker which had often been mentioned before and I said YES PLEASE. He said I would have it done within 2 weeks. He called me the next day and said they had a space for me. So my Pacemaker was fitted (Local anaesthetic) on 3rd June. I now have to wait 6 weeks for the Pacemaker to be connected to the sinus node in my heart. I'm only 62.

Betty speak to your doctor about the Dronedrone as there must be an alternative. I have heard it said that Dronedrone and Amiodrone are "black" drugs which doesn't sound good to me 

• Posted

Hi Anna Maria , I have been on flecanide and bisoprolol as well others that I can't mind ...the pace maker sounds like it may be a good one to try ...I have never been offered digoxin , I have to see the Dr again soon so will mention this ...thank you for sharing your info ...
  • Posted

I have been quite ill over the last year but it seems after 2 ablations and 4 cardio versions, then heart failure it seems a pacemaker was the last resort

Betty if you have these side effects you should speak to your doctor and discuss other options, it's your body and life is too short for you to suffer unnessessarily

• Posted

thanks for that it's good to know I am not alone ...I hope you feel better soon ...I am 59 and don't feel like I have a life at the mo . Although the dronedarone seem to be keeping the AF at bay the side effects are not good,, hair loss and I've developed a cough that won't go ...I will be telling the Dr all this when I see him ...maybe I should ask about a pace maker 
    • Posted

Betty, the cough is a bad sign, I was told if I developed a cough (which I did ) I had to come off Dronedrone so you must for your health's speak to your doctor as soon as you can, can you call your surgery and ask for the doctor to call you back? I can do this if I cant get an appointment to see mine. I felt that too about my life but now I may have turned the corner. How long have you had AF Betty and have you had any other surgery.

• Posted

Hi , I have had AF for nearly 3 years now I have Dr next week anyway way ...I think I feel I should be off them though ...I will have a long chat with gp and see what he says ...thanks for the info ...
  • Posted

Hi Betty, have you had your bloods done lately? hair loss and palpitations can be a sign of thyroid problems as well as palps being AF... just a thought.

• Posted

Hi mazza , yes I have had all my bloods done things seem be settling down now although I need regular blood tests , my hair loss is starting to get better now , the AF seems to be well under control at the moment so will keep going with the droneadrone tablets ....thanks you for your post 

Betty

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.