Posted , 3 users are following.

gd day to all. I`m a 50yr old f from nottingham. Had problems with my joints all my life. Remember having blood tests as a child i guess to look for oa or ra. Was diagnosed with oa few yrs ago. Xrays on hands as i have nodules ? is that what there called, on my top knuckles on both index fingers and one middle finger. Noticed a new lump on middle knuckle of index finger. they r generally bent and i cant make a fist with left hand. pain has subsided since i left my job which required alot of manual handling. But i now have it in my left knee. I had a MRI after a fall last aug. Pain radiates up my thigh and into the bottom of my back. And last few days i`m having twinges in my other knee too. On codeine for the pain. Can have steriod injections when i`m ready and obviously in the future replacement surgery. Firstly, how do ppl cope with the pain, i know it`s gona get worse. I`m trying to work, i`m an auxillary nurse, luckily agency so I choose to work nights and on smaller wards where the work load is easier. And secondly what am I going to do if I have to give up work. I pay all the monthly bills and I`ve been struggling with that for last 6mnths as I`m only managing cpl shifts a week. I feel very dispondant. The menopause kicked in around the same time as the fall, making me feel very depressed and it`s only because I`ve been on the recieving end of suicide that I know i coudn`t do that to my family. But now this !

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Don't leave it too long if surgery is an option because if you let it go too far some options are not available. I have had 2 finger joints replaced, required 2 was off work, but now pain free. 

Why  be in pain when surgery gets rid of it. It was when the pain got bad that surgery was offered to me, so I never went down the codeine route and wouldn't want to.

have you seen a consultant for their opinion

• Posted

I`ve seen an orthopeadic surgeon. I think as I`m over weight and my age, surgery on my knee is not an option as yet. I`m managing ok on the pain meds at mo. Althou I missed them today and I don`t I know it. Very stiff and sore. 
  • Posted

Hi Justali!

Love your name!😃

So sorry to hear that you are in pain. Yes, pain just makes EVERYTHING harder!

Your description seems a lot like RA. My mother-in-law has suffered with the swelling and nodules, redness and bending of the joints of the fingers as you have.

Although it SEEMS like RA, I think it would be helpful to see a Rheumotologist because blood testing done there can screen for specific markers that pinpoint the specific type of arthritis. The absence of a specific marker in the blood can rule out certain types of arthritis, too. I had this testing done several years ago, and it was very helpful in ruling out certain forms of arthritis and getting me to my surgeon who could then help me deal with my osteoarthritis. Treatment varies with the type of arthritis a person has.

You mentioned menopause. I think MY Osteoarthritis was triggered by menopause! Seems too much of a coincidence NOT to be connected.

With proper treatment and the right medication for the specific arthritis you have, you probably will begin to feel a lot better. I encourage you to get the blood testing so that proper treatment can start to help you.

Please let us know how things go for you!

• Posted

ty cheryl, I have had blood tests to rule out RA . I`ve done a shift on a maternity ward today but I had to ask to leave early as I was in agony. Unfortunately I let my pain meds lapse as I needed to eat with them and I hadn`t had my break. God I feel so stiff and sore, Nice hot bath, More pains meds, 
    • Posted

Very happy to hear the blood tests ruled out RA. It is a very rough type of arthritis.

I hope that your pain will GO AWAY! Pain just makes the whole body feel bad!

I like to lay on the bed and pretend I am floating on water. I visualize lovely clouds above me. I listen for waves lapping on the shore. Soon, my pain meds kick in, and I am traveling in my DREAMS!😊

Sending prayers of calm and peace to you tonight!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.