New member and I am finally FREE of Codeine after 9 long years!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I finally gave up codeine on 10th March 2015 after 9 years and today is the first day I feel I am slowly getting my life back. The last 7 days have been hell to be honest I did my own home detox, full cold turkey with no help whatsoever and I've been through every ache and pain possible, vomiting, headaches etc you name it I've had it. But now as I type this I feel much better I have already started to make steps at improving my life and my health and now I am trying my hardest to get back into employment. Even though I am now codeine free I wanted to join this site just on the off chance I may be able to help someone as I know how difficult it can be.

Hope you all had a great day!

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hey Owenzio85!

Well done on your achievement! I really admire what you have done. I started cutting back by more than half yesterday and intend on stopping today. I am so nervous though. I have given up before successfully, but went back to the cocodamol due to emotional problems - I would never do that again, knowing what I know now (hindsight = grrrrr lol). I did it quite easily the previous times (2), with strong willpower (I do tend to have strong willpower), but this time just seems so difficult and I am not sure why because I really do want to give them up and never touch the things again! I think I am just fearful of not having my 'safety net' if my mood is low or if I can't sleep, etc. 

What was your emotional experience during this, if you don't mind me asking? And how did you keep up the strength to carry on with your detox?

Thanks smile

• Posted

Awesome Bobbs and good luck to you

To be honest emotionally it has been very hard still today and it's only been 9 days but by now I am completely Codeine free so these feelings must all be mentally rather than physically. I basically just thought my children deserve better and so do I and hopefully I will NEVER go back.

• Posted

Hi Owen

Congratulations :-)  I did the same too, though things got pretty bad before I went cold turkey, having taken an overdose and ending up in a&e for two days.  I know how hard and painful cold turkey can be so you have my admiration.  I gave up in November 2014 and haven't touched the stuff since.  Keep on going and don't weaken but be prepared for a` few aftershocksm, it takes the body a while to be truly free of codeine.  

xxx

• Posted

Thanks for the advice Lizzie it wasn't easy as you say but I believe it will be all worth it in the end :-)
  • Posted

Well done, it took me 2 attempts to get off those horrid pills but I nearly succumbed to them again as I've had bad patches of sciatica pain and bruising from falling over (I have MD - have no balance) and no other painkillers would touch the pain. I managed to get through it with yoga, meditation and ibuprofen, and massage from my partner.

Take care

• Posted

That's brilliant Wen06862 I am so glad you managed to not only beat them but find a way of also helping your pain

• Posted

hello hun i need help coming off then dont know where to start i have them as get migraine but want to come off then just dont know where to start hun dont know if do go doctors or do it at himeany help will help
    • Posted

I have commented on your thread Sheryl but if there is anything specific you would like to know don't hesitate to ask and I will try my best to help you. :-)
  • Posted

Well done Owen, like you I went cold turkey 2nd Feb and feel great now, it is very hard but I think the best way to come off CC if someone has the will power.

Good luck in your search for employment at least you havent got it on your medicle records about having an opiate addiction which could affect your chances of employment if your potential employer wrote to your GP. Once again well done and good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.