New member, long time sufferer :(

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, everyone.  New member, but have been suffering from OA for the last 27 years.  Started when I was 26 years old as severe pain and swelling in hands and fingers while doing piece work at a factory, and has progressed and spread from there.  I had bilateral knee replacements in January 2014, three level spinal fusion in October 2015, and have been on full disability since June 2015.  I've been bouncing from ortho to neuro to rheumy and GP for the last solid year.  My current MRI from March shows major spinal herniations throughout my entire thorasic and lumbar spines.  We'd thought they'd result in a lumbar spinal fusion but after today's final diagnosis, that's not the case.  Osteo on top of degenerative disc disease on top of dealing with migraines and hypothyroidism is just getting to be too much.

The wonderful doctor I met with today was very thorough, very straightforward, and very sorry of the resulting diagnosis. He said there isn't an actual treatment available other than managing the syptoms - meds, therapy, and more joint replacement if it gets that bad again.  My left thumb joint has already almost fused itself, I guess that explains the severe pain I've been having there.  My GP referred me thinking I had psoriatic arthritis because I've started having psoriasis breakouts, but the final diagnosis is osteoarthritis.  My neck, shoulders, wrists, hands, spine, knees, ankles, and feet are greatly affected.  I was in pain management for the last solid year straight.  I'm currently on muscle relaxers, prescription anti-inflammatory med, anti-depressant, and pain meds.  I cannot sleep at night even with sleeping pills, am still in pain 24/7, and am literally a shell of my former self.  I cannot believe this is what my life has become.

My biggest hurdle at this point is accepting this final diagnosis gracefully and moving forward as best I can knowing it'll only get worse.  My husband keeps saying I need to move more, I keep telling him the more I move the more I hurt.  When I do too much I also have severe migraine headaches that last up to two full days with horrendous pain, vomitting, and light and sound sensitivity.

My doc wants me to go back to pain management, he thought they may be able to do more for me or perhaps teach me meditation skills.  The final treatment they've offered after all the meds, injections, and physical therapy is to have a neuro spine stimulator implanted to see if that would help with my overall pain.  I don't know if that's even something to consider at this point, it sure sounds like a gnarly operation to me.

My day is spent basically being a lump on the couch so I don't aggrevate anything if I can help it, my feet hurt so bad I cannot walk on them very much.  Even when I do, then my low back becomes excrutiatingly painful and seizes up.  I have to find a spot to sit and recover.  If I'm in a chair with a low back, then my neck and shoulders start spasming and I'll end up with a migraine.  I can't stand, I can't walk, I can't sleep, and I am REALLY tired of saying, "I can't..."

Any insights on how to better manage this mentally and emotionally would be most kind and beneficial.  It's wonderful to be in a group that are experiencing what I am and that can relate to the struggles on each level.

I promise not to be such a downer and complainer in future posts, too.  I'm generally very positive and upbeat but today's really, really messed me up.

Sammie

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I just re-read your post and after reading it I wondered if your Rheumatologist has ever tested you for polymyalgia rheumatica? If not you might consider it.
    • Posted

I don't think they have.  My next rheumy appt is September 25, I'll ask then what his thoughts are on it.

• Posted

I am no doctor but I must say I would get a second opinion from a highly recommended rheumatologist because if you have psoriasis then the likely diagnosis would be psoriatic arthritis...I say this because psa and osteo can appear the same. What are your inflammatory blood levels? I would get a second opinion.
    • Posted

Very good point lisa, Psoriatic arthritis does present with very similar symptoms as OA but effective treatments can differ in each case.  I agree that it would be advisable to get bloods done to test inflammatory markers. 
    • Posted

Thank you both!  Yes, I have a second rheumy appointment still scheculed for Sept 25 with a different doctor.  I was pretty surprised for this one to say it's NOT psoriatic arthritis.   He did say there were two levels in my bloodwork that would've been high, but since they weren't then it pointed to osteo.  I most certainly have psoriasis, though.

• Posted

To be honest bluetech - be grateful if it isnt psoriatic arthritis - its a horrible disease.  OA is nasty too but nowhere near as evil as PA. I do hope you find some relief soon.  I have good days and bad days and I admit to letting it all get to me on the bad days but then on a day when I dont hurt so much and I achieve something like going for a walk around the park, I cheer up a lot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.