New member needing advice

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I need some advice I take 10mg of escitalopram/lexapro I have been taking 5mg for few weeks and wanting to go onto fluoxetine bc the escitalopram doesn't seem to help my anxiety. Has anyone switched from one of these meds to the other and does fluoxetine help anxiety. Thanks

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lee I've never tried escitalopram but I did take fluoxetine for just over 4 1/2 weeks and it wasn't for me, my anxiety was so much worse. In saying that there are lots of people on this forum taking it and they say it helps. We are all different and some people have little to no side effects. When you speak to your Dr about changing meds ask loads of questions and maybe ask about therapy, it has helped me. Good luck with everything.cheesygrin
  • Posted

Thx Elaine 😊
  • Posted

Lee, I take 5 mg of escitalopram and nothing else. It takes 4-6 weeks to feel the expected effect, it appears you have not been on it long enough to get the full results. I would try it for 6 weeks and then talk to a doctor about increasing it or changing at that time.
    • Posted

Sorry I did a mistake I took 10mg  for 2 years but they don't work I went to 5 mg for last few weeks bc I want to withdraw them and start a different medication I see doc on monday
    • Posted

That makes sense Lee. I stopped my escitalopram about a year ago (started again in Oct). When I weened off them, I had "brain zaps" for several weeks. Quite "interesting" if you never had one. It is a sudden shock/jolt without the pain, just a weird buzz in my head. LOL
    • Posted

Hi piglets I didn't have brain zaps but I have been feeling dizzy and like a heavy headed feeling feels horrible I've been to docs today and she was ok with me cutting down on them and has put me on fluoxetine so hopefully they help😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.