New member on behalf of my partner

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi folks. I’m new here and actually here on behalf of my partner. Last week he was diagnosed with infected diverticulitis. The pain started almost two weeks ago and he was diagnosed 10 days ago. He was given antibiotics in hospital but they affected his kidneys so he was given antibiotics for that too. He’s been home for a week now. On his discharge he was told to rest for two weeks and told the pain will take at least two weeks to start to go. 

Anyway, he’s still in agony. He’s not feeling as poorly but still in s lot if pain, especially after eating and after going to the toilet. 

We weren’t given very much info on this condition, except if he doesn’t rest he could perforate his bowel. 

Please could anyone give me any tips on how to deal with the pain, anything at all... foods to eat, avoid, any supliments to take, any advice would be really appreciated. He’s 32 years old and pretty much eats or will try anything. 

0 likes, 5 replies

Report

5 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi  Cheryl,

         As you will learn from this website everyone is different! The antibiotics can make you feel worse than the disease. Make sure he takes a good probiotic. That will help with nausea from the meds and helps to maintain healthy bacteria in the gut. So with a flare you go directly to liquids for 3 days at least, to give the bowel a rest. Try and stay away from soups since every broth contains onion and is a no-no with diverticulitis. Jello, popsicles, a lot of water, applesauce I could eat. For soft diet I ate scrambled eggs, white toast, applesauce, crockpot chicken, mashed potatoes, baked fish. Some days I could only eat a few tablespoons of anything and that’s ok. I couldn’t drink carbonated drinks, no alcohols and coffee was a problem. I chewed double mint gum to get rid of metallic taste from antibiotics.

    Just warning you recovery can take months! Be aware if he complains of a fever or the pain is coming back go directly to the Dr or ER! Sometimes it takes more than one round of antibiotics. Wait until he feels really good to introduce fiber and do it gradually . Google high fiber foods.

    Those were my tricks! Good luck

    Kate

    Report
  • Posted

    I agree with everything Katealso said - that is a great starting plan.  Just be aware that some things will need to change forever - the doctors may not agree, but many find that eating corn, popcorn, anything with seeds and nuts can trigger another attack.  He will be well aware if he has another (after recovering from this one) when it starts, and can immediately go on an liquid diet to hopefully stem any infection.  Many times diet can control it w/o antibiotics if caught early enough.  A fever and terrible pain is a sign that it is probably infected.  Also, be prepared for some periods of high anxiety and depression as he thinks he will never feel better (we all do that), but he will - just have to give it time.  Also anxiety will occur due to fear of another attack - this too will pass and hopefully just become a feeling of awareness of what to eat, what triggers problems, and how to deal with mild flareups.  This site will give you tons of info - all very valuable, and you will find that some applies and some doesn't.  Definitely echo the probiotics, I take two a day - really helped with the side effects of the antibiotics.  Hang in there - it will seem like a forever, but you will soon be able to come out on the other side.  

    Report
  • Posted

    Wow he is very young for this condition! You need a good gasomytris my doc says no pain pills for they tend to constipate you l am just trying to get over infection I'm eating only boiled chicken boiled skinned potatoes applesauce enriched white toast plain white crackers bananas and only water and lots of it ! The Mayo clinic has diverticulitis diet My primary care physician said no supplements at this point Oh yeah bone broth seems to help some sufferers I have hard time drinking it I feel quite sure other people on this forum will also try to help you Thank you for being a caring partner this is a difficult disease good luck

    Report
  • Posted

    Also a heating pad helps My brother in law had one episode he was in hospital 2 weeks when all symptoms were clear the only pockets he had were on the last 5 inches of his colon was removed and reattached to rectum 2 and a half months later he is back to work a physical job and doing great mine as many others is throughout my colon surgical procedure may not b as successful
    Report
  • Posted

    hi everybody .  i just want to mention something i stumbled upon that really works for me and it starts taking the pain / ache away almost instantly .   i was out with the wife shopping and was also suffering with a flare up of dd .  we decided to have a drink in the cafe at m & s but as i was really thirsty i asked the wife to get me a bottle of water to quench my thirst .   when the wife came to the table i realised that she had got me a bottle of sparkling ( fizzy ) water instead of still water .  anyway , as i was really thirsty i opened it and drank about half the bottle in one go and noticed almost immidietly that my dd pain / ache was calming down and sure enough after about 10 mins it had stopped !!!   im guessing its the fizzy bubbles that go to the colon or wherever and the fizzing clears the waste from the dd pockets that theyve gathered in and which subsequently give the pain and ache .  on my last flare up i was just about to go to the doctors to get a prescription for some anti biotics but just before going through the door i drank half a pint of fizzy lemonade as quick as i could to get as many fizzy bubbles down there as quick as possible then set off for the 5 mins trip to the doctors but almost immediatly i felt it calming down and by the time i'd got to the doctors the pain / ache had subsided and all i was left with was being a bit tender which i can easily cope with .  i got the tablets from the doctor but ill keep those back and hopefully the fizzy drinks will do the job better .  they are so far !    any fizzy drink will do so long as its really fizzy .   anyway , i thought id share this as it works every time for me and its tablets free .   it works for me , i hope it works for you .   :-)

    Report

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up