New member. Question about AV Fistula

Posted , 3 users are following.

My husband had 2 surgeries so far to get AV fistula in preparation for his dialysis. Unfortunately, both have been unsuccessful, No buzz found. We are waiting for the schedule for a 3rd attempt.. May I know if this normally happens? Is there anything we can do to ensure success or it is dependent on how the connection heals? 

?thank you to those who will reply. My apologise if this site is only reserve for patients, I am really keen to learn about his condition so I can better support him.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Joyce,

I'm just reaching the point for dialysis now. So, I don't have personal experiences with fistula placement yet. But I'm  sure others on here will be able to answer your fistula questions.

I just wanted to say that family members are a wonderful gift for persons with chronic kidney disease. Consequently, they are, from my perspective, most certainly welcome members of this forum🐶

Best wishes to you and your husband.

Marj

• Posted

Thank you for your encouraging reply Marj.

​I am the one seeking information about his condition because he does not want to talk about it so much.. I understand why he does not want to be reminded of his condition, he lives it. This is why I joined the forum....to learn from others and share our experience. 

• Posted

I, too, found myself not wanting to deal with this diagnosis for the first 1-2 years.

I live alone and have no family left. While I have several friends, I will need to be very proactive dealing with my chronic kidney disease. So I've had to force myself to grapple with all of this. However, it was difficult at first. I was just so angry. I was also so scared.

My father had chronic kidney disease. I was one of his care providers while he was on home hemodialysis. He did not have a good experience with hemodialysis. He also didn't live very long on it. Consequently, I was very worried about dialysis.

I began participating in this forum to learn more about the experiences others have had on dialysis. My thinking was that I needed to hear other stories so I had more narratives running through my mind. My hope was that that would help me when the time comes for me to decide what I will do for treatment.

I have found this forum to be very helpful. I still have days when I wish I didn't have chronic kidney disease. But they are much less frequent now. More often I find myself thinking that I can and will manage whatever I have in front of me with the help of my medical team and the support of my friends. I'm not so worried about dialysis any more. I'm convinced I'll be able to keep working--something I definitely want to do. (I'm a university professor.) And I'm definitely going to try to travel while on dialysis too. I'm convinced I'll be able to do most things that I enjoy doing now. 

But I've been dealing with this diagnosis for a little over 7 years now. I'm still learning exactly how CKD is effecting my body specifically. The more I learn, the better I am able to take care of myself and the better I feel.

Anyway, I think it's wonderful that you're learning as much as possible for your husband. When he reaches a point where he is ready to proactively deal with CKD, you'll be in a good position to support him.

Marj

• Posted

Marj,

​Thank you for your openness and good luck on your journey.

​My husband is scheduled to get his 3rd attempt for an AV fistula in 2 weeks, hopefully it will work this time. It is worrying to see him go through the surgery but we know it has to be done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.