New member struggling with HS

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there,

I'm so happy to have found this group and to know I'm not alone. In November 2013 I was diagnosed with HS, I have never heard of it before. Last year I had 4 surgeries under my armpit, 3 dranage and insisions and on the 4th surgery they removed the tracks. I was then left with a big whole that was too big to pack so I was put on a vac machine for 3 months. After the 3 months I still had to go to the surgery to have it packed everyday. Last week I had to have surgery on my inner thigh to remove an abscess. My doctor has now put me on Tetralysal antibiotic long term. Has anyone else taken these?

Also now the skin has closed under my armpit I have limited movement and finding daily life a struggle when having to do things, does anyone else have the same problem?

Sorry to go on im not getting any answers from my doctors sad

Thanks Angel x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Angel, I'm sorry for what you are going through. I can sympathize as I'm having surgery to remove tracts from the side of my groin area (right where my underwear line is)next week. Please excuse my ignorance but what is a vac machine? What does it do?

As for antibiotics, I've been on doxycycline but I've not beej told to take anything long term.

• Posted

Hi Meagan,

Thank you for your resonse. Sorry to hear you will be going in for surgery and I hope it all goes well for you.

A Wound Vac Machine is a device that consists of a dressing which is fitted with a tube and attached to the wound VAC. It is most commonly used with chronic wounds which are not responding to other forms of treatment, and sometimes with surgical wounds which have reopened. It helps the wound to get smaller and pumps any unwanted fluid out of the wound.

Angel x

• Posted

Hi I am sorry you are suffering like this.  I had a friend who was left with scars under her armits due to HS and she couldn't raise 1 arm above her head   She had surgery on them and said it did help but not a huge amount. I presume you are seeing a dermatologist?  If so have a word with them about available treatments. All the best  x

• Posted

Thank you for your resonse, I am unable to raise my arm or pick things up off the floor it's so frustrating. I am not seeing a dermatologist at the moment. I have asked my doctor but he wants me to try out the long term antibiotics first. I'm going to keep pushing to be referred.

Thank you

Angel x

• Posted

Hi tell your doctor to stuff his ab's where the sun doesn't shine!   Don't ask to see a dermatologist but demand a second opinion which is your right.   Don't be put off and keep to your point.   But you need to see one.  Ok?   x

• Posted

Thank you for the advice. I have made an appointment with the doctor and I will demand for a second opionion as I need to get this under control now as it seems to be taking over my life.

Angel x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.