New Member with Eustachian Tube Dysfunction

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everybody, I was wondering if I could come aboard and ask for a little help or guidance?.

?In March of this year(2017) I began to notice something wrong with my ears.  They felt full and puffed as if I had a cold but I didn't.  I also noticed that sometimes the cold air would leave my left ear a quite sore.

?I've had "mild" Tinnitus for almost 3 years which I would describe as a high pitched whine but at a low volume.  However, since this ear problem started my Tinnitus has been worse with varying degrees of heightened noise and changed sounds.  Basically a mess.

?Occasionally it will settle down but on the whole I see a big difference for the worse.

?To cut a long story short I was finally diagnosed with ETD in July.  I was prescribed Avamys nasal spray for 3 months but it did nothing so I had to return to the doctor at the end of October and was prescribed Nasofan Aqueos which I had to take for another 3 months. 

It seemed to be loosening the nasal mucus in my nose much better but sadly at the beginning of December I had a flare up in my right ear with a whooshing noise when outside in the wind so I returned to see the doctor who decided "enough was enough" and gave me another spray(Sterimar) to try along with the Nasofan plus anti-allergy tablets(10mg Loratadine).  He has referred me to ENT and he also sent me for an allergy blood test which came back negative so I decided to stop taking the Loratadine last week.

?My neighbour had ETD last year and mentioned that what had worked for her was breathing in Menthol Chrystal over a bowl of boiling water so I started working with that.

?I would say I was noticing a big difference especially in my right ear and could even go outside without any of the pain or whooshing noises but sadly last week I caught a horrible cold/flu which has not only set me back to square one but my ears feel fuller than they ever have.  

?I'm at the tale end of the flu but my ears still feel full and my Tinnitus is a mess.  I'm currently trying to empty my ears/nose after this horrible flu using the Nasofan, Sterimar and Menthol Chrystal and am waiting for the ENT referral to come through, hopefully at the end of January next year(it's a 2 month waiting period with the British NHS).

??After reading the various experiences of others I would say that I haven't had ETD nearly as bad(less symptoms, no vertigo for example and I can chew without any noise) but I'm struggling with the aftermath of this flu.

Would anyone be kind enough to give me some thoughts on my situation?.  I could almost cry because I "seemed* to be making progress.

Many thanks for your help and kindness.

?James

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Do you or your doctor think you've had mild ETD for the past three years which caused your lower tinnitus? Or do you have tinnitus due to other reasons and your ETD just makes it worse?

• Posted

Hi James,

I'm sorry to hear about situation. I have been suffering the same since a month now. My tinnitus was apparently induced by ETD. The only thing I can say is, the ear fullness usually takes a while to go away. My ENT said at least two months. Perhaps, its just for my condition as I was exposed to extreme cold conditions.

If the fullness is due to excess mucus in the middle ear, it takes a bit of time to get rid of it, as in my case. My ENT had given me a cough syrup that helps in getting rid of mucus. I would suggest to have patience and be relaxed. I know it's really annoying, but things will get better.

Good luck,

Abhi

• Posted

Hello James,

So very sorry to read of your plight.  Eustachian Tube Dysfunction is one of worse things to

get rid of.

I'm paranoid about catching the flu this year, as I know I will suffer badly with sinus issues

and my ETD.  Plus I have asthma too, which is completely controlled at the moment and

don't want anything to potentially mess that up......even a nasty virus doing the rounds

at the moment that sees to be hitting the lungs.

Personally having been a sufferer from ETD for over 30 years, i know what works and what

doesn't.  I think the meds you're on are worse than useless.

Please scroll down to find what has helped me.  Hoping you too are in England as I know

then you'll be able to get prescribed the same as I.

Regards 

Anne

• Posted

Hello all, and thanks for your kind replies.

?Four years ago I was very ill and was told I might have MS.  One of the tests I had done was the dreaded Lumbar Puncture and although the procedure went okay I was discharged an hour later but developed a very bad reaction with a unbelievable headache and panic attack .

?We phoned the hospital and they said to come straight back where they gave me painkillers, stabilised and discharged me again.

?I actually live in the Shetland Islands and any major cases are referred to the Aberdeen Royal Infirmary so my case was handed over to the Neurology Dept there and to cut a long story short both the LP and brain MRI results came back clear.  Thankfully, MS was ruled out and I was diagnosed with a temporary stress illness which has passed.

?Three years ago I returned to work but a couple of months after starting realised that I had a low volume ringing noise in both my ears 24/7.  I pretty much realised right away that it was Tinnitus and it gets worse when I'm driving my car for example.

?Then, as I say in March of this year these ETD symptoms surfaced but the first Practitioner Nurse couldn't see any signs of infection and sent me on my way saying it would probably clear up!.

I did have a bad ear infection in my left ear two years ago which required anti-biotics. 

?The problem with my Health Centre is you rarely get the same doctor twice so there's not the best of consitancy.

?To be honest I did wonder if I've maybe had mild ETD symptoms over the past three years because I had noticed that the cold wind would sometimes make my inner ears sore at times and this has given me the Tinnitus.

Anne, I'll  certainly take a look(I was browsing the night I posted) and found drops called Flixonase Nasal Drops that was recommended by someone.  It might even have been you!, but if it wasn't and there's something else that works please, please post them here or drop me a pm.  I would be so grateful because scrolling is very hard and slow with my poor internet.

?Thanks again everybody.

• Posted

Morning James,

Thank goodness you're in Scotland, if you lived abroad you probably wouldn't be able to get them.

They are called Flixonase Nasule Drops.  And yes it was me that recommended them.

So glad you don't have MS.....lumbar Punctures are awful/ I had to go through one before I was

diagnosed with Bacterial Meningitis, caused through Eustachian Tube Dysfunction.

Because one woman said I keep banging on about these Nasules and was I a distributor of

them and that the Forum should take me off, I'm loathe to keep repeating myself, hence the

reason I recommended you scrol down.  However, that's not easy to do and find the correct

post you want to read.  All I ever want to do is help someone suffering this awful condition

of ETD.  I'm still good, but still have to use the drops when my ears block, which has now got to only

every 7 days.  Then I use the Nasules just the once and again I'm good to go !!

That woman who said that to me was in the US and I felt extremely upset what she said.

Very nasty too.  I think the Forum is trying to make our posts like Face Book where it's

easier to find the previous posts.

Take care James.  My Tinnitus is so much lower these days having the Nasules to hand.

Bear in mind though, if you're prescribed them they should only be uses for a maximum of

6 weeks.  But once you feel your ears getting better you may find you can use them the same 

as I do.

Happy, Healthy, New Year to you James.

Anne

• Posted

Hi Anne, thank you so much and what a shame when you're only trying to help.  Sometimes I wonder about people!.

?I will certainly mention the Flixonase Nasal Drops.  I might just pop back to the doctor and see if I can get them before my ENT appointment comes through.

?I stopped taking those useless sprays and constantly blowing my nose yesterday because it just seemed to be aggravating my ears and giving me worse Tinnitus.

?Today my ears haven't felt so bunged up and the additional Tinnitus noises that I was struggling with have subsided but sadly no cure yet!.

?I did blow my nose this afternoon and it seemed to trigger all sorts of strange pain, noises and crackling(when I swallow) but it seems to be settling down now.

?Thanks again smile 

• Posted

Glad things are on the turn.  Hope you'll be one of the 

lucky ones and get sorted.

Make sure you call the Flixonase NASULES and not Nasals.

Keep in touch to let me know if in fact you're prescribed them.

Anne

• Posted

Anne, iv talked to you b4 a n obout all this. I too have been diagnosed with Etd..my ent wants ro put a tube in my ear due to my ear drum retracting and causing the bone ro protrude. I am very nervous about this. He is doing several other tests for the tinnitis and head buzzing I experience. Crystal tests is one and another scoping b4 doing an mri. He told me to do the excercises (holding nose and blowing ) and flonase (usa) to see if conditions will improve..it even effects my eye..ache behind it, same side as the ear with the full feeling..hoping between spray and excercise I can prevent having a tube put in my ear, but now wondering if all if this is reason for my T...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.