New Meniere's Diagnosis

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've had cochlear Meniere's for 4 years, meaning hearing loss, tinnitus, but not vertigo. I have now "crossed over the dark side" by having my first severe vertigo attack last Sunday. I'm struggling with this new diagnosis and full of fear and anxiety. When I research this disease I read many posts from people who have extreme cases. I'd like to know how people successfully manage this and also if most people take diuretics. My doctor only prescribed me Prednisone for the initial attack and ativan for dizziness and stress. No diuretics. Any support would be helpful. I'm struggling a little bit with the thought of no more afternoon glass of wine, not knowing what will happen next, and walking around dizzy everyday.Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

i was off work for 9 months before i recovered. i take betahistines diuretics and two anti anxiety medications. never had anxiety before.

very littke added salt, no fast food, little to no alchohol or caffiene.

im in canada also.

• Posted

diuretics and very low sodium diet is normally the first line of treatment for MD. If that does not work, betahistine 16mg/3x/day is effective for many people. If that dose does not eliminate vertigo you should request a higher dose. Most patients need to start betahistine at 4mg/3x/day and gradually build up the dosage. I take 64mg/day total + 50mg diuretic. The ativan is the sedative most neurotologists (ENT that specialize in inner ear diseases) recommend to control vestibular imbalance and anxiety so you have the right sedative. Oral prednisone is unlikely to be effective but it's worth a try.

Good luck.

• Posted

Sorry to hear you were unwell Linda, a full vertigo attack is a terrible experience!

Thankfully, I'm very well at present having been really bad for months during the summer. I tried different meds that didn't work, but then I started slowly, slowly to naturally come out of the bad cycle. At that same time I started on antiviral medication, as well as putting together my own regime for general health.

I eat a good diet; I exercise well...walking every day and swimming three times a week with a short workout in the gym beforehand, and a steam and sauna after the swim, and I feel alive after it; I try to get good, regular sleep; I'm looking after my gut health by having a natural, live cultured yoghurt every day as well as a kefir drink which I make myself, and sometimes sauerkraut; and I'm looking after my emotional and mental health. Stress is a known suppressor of the immune system, which is needed in a really healthy state to help fight inflammation and illness of all sorts. I'm not just talking about the everyday stress of work and home etc, but also the chronic stress that can be lodged in one's body that you more than likely wouldn't even be aware of. That's the dangerous stress. And it can be linked back to things in one's life that hasn't properly been dealt with, right back to childhood.

So I'm working on getting all parts of my being in good shape. Iam a single organism, so if things aren't right in one area it will affect other areas.

So in short: I'm eating well, exercising well, sleeping well, looking after my gut health, and looking after my emotional and mental health.

I'm developing a different attitude towards my menieres, I mightn't have control over my MD, but I'm taking back control for the things that I do have control over....like the list above. For the last four years I have felt powerless in the face of my MD, but now I'm taking back control and I'm feeling empowered and it feels really good!

So are my antiviral meds working?....I honestly don't know, but I'm going to keep taking them for now anyway. My guess is that all the other things I'm doing are vastly more important. I'm not saying that I am going to cure my menieres, but I am definitely going to try to get as fully well and healthy as I possibly can, and that at the very least, I will be better placed to deal with attacks if I get them.

I really want to give you encouragement, and I hope that you'll find this helpful. Take good care of yourself.

• Posted

Hey Pauline,

Thanks for your post, very informational and encouraging.

Especially the parts on sleep & stress! Yes, very important... I need to work on having a different & better attitude towards MD so thanks for pointing that out. It is a critical step in facing this wretched disease. I'm glad that you are feeling so well these days 😃

I have been feeling really good too by the grace of God.

The change in barometric pressure still gets me with aural fullness (ear pressure) and a spike in tinnitus that can last 24-48 hours but at least I'm still spin free! Vertigo and/or dizziness ruin the day. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, All the best in 2019!!

• Posted

HI Arcticblueice. It's great to hear you are feeling so well, and I hope that it will continue on and on. It's unfortunate about the effects of barometric pressure. But it's good that you at least recognise what is happening and know that it will eventually pass.

I hope you have a lovely Christmas, and every best wish for the New year!!

• Posted

I take valium an fluid pill an a aniexty I dont drink anymore I was diagnosed with menieres in 2008 I have had 3 ear perfusion in my right ear have losted sum hearing its not a cure for this you just have to figure what helps good luck your not alone

• Posted

Thanks. Are you symptom free on this regimine? What is ear perfusion?

• Posted

Injectons in the ear, I haven't had a vertigo attack since April of 2018 I was having them often until I had that 3 day injection of steroids in my ear but I still have tinnitus all the time I don't use salt I haven't worked since june my balance comes an goes I'm from United states, alabama but I go to Tennessee for treatments at the Shea ear clinic

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.