New metoprolol user- horrible side effects?

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

hi there. I realize these are questions for my doctor, but im waiting to be able to get in and thought someone may be able to help in the meantime while I wait.

i was in the ER last week for an unrelated digestive issue - they couldnt get my BP or HR under control so they put me on metoprolol Succinate ER and told me to follow up with my doctor to see if I need to stay on it long term. since then my BP and HR have been amazing so i think it's definitely doing its jobs for me. The thing i would like to hear from others is the side effects? for me, they seem god awful and have been spiraling me into panic attacks. the weakness, dizziness, tiredness. My main worry is that every night, about 4 hours after i take it, im waking up feeling panicky, (heart rate is fine though) nauseated, and just a general "might pass out at any moment" feeling where i find myself having to get out of bed and walk around for a bit to feel better. sometimes i sit up for hours just feeling weird. did anyone experience anything similar? as i mentioned, im getting in the dr as soon as they accept me but i thought it may help to hear others first hand experience.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

i started metoprolol 25 mg once a day over the summer. for the past few months i started to wake up in the night and feel like what you described. Very bad - anxious and need to walk around and sit up most of the night its tortorous. I thought i was having hormonal issues (im 48) maybe but ive been reading different things about the medicines im taking and wondering if anyone else feels the same

i cant describe it but it feels like my heart is either too slow, beating fast or palpitations. i cant sleep 😦

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.