New Migraine drug - Erenumab

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

I suffer from chronic migraines and it was great to see in the news about this treatment coming to the UK private sector in next couple of months, unfortunately the NHS rollout isn't until next year.

My private healthcare expired when I changed jobs last year, and they have stated that a new policy would not cover existing conditions.

Can anyone recommend a medical insurer that would do this?  Or can I pay for treatment directly, think it is £450 a month for an injection,  I assume it would have to go through insurance, I cant just turn up at a clinic...

Thanks

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I’m interested in this also and was doing some research on it. I think it’s available direct from Amgen... I’m pretty sure there was another site selling it too but it’s very expensive. 

I desperately need a good preventative too after this 16 day migraine! 

If you find out any more info on it I’d be grateful to hear it.

Lauren

• Posted

Hi I am interested too as had migraines for 10 years now and no medication has worked 😢 can I ask what you have tried please xx

• Posted

Hi Jenny,

I presume your message was to the injection but just thought I’d offer some help on what I’ve tried so far...

The new medication I’m currently taking is lamotragine (an epileptic medication) and also gabapentin, along with supplements- magnesium and riboflavin (which are high doses) These combined so far seem to help.

I was initially diagnosed with hemiplegic migraine but now have basillar migraine/ brain stem aura tied in which have some scary symptoms!

I’m not sure it’s allowed on here but I have met a brilliant neurologist who’s treating me in London, if you need advice on doctors...

I would also recommend Thai massage, even if if it’s for therapeutic effects. If you can find someone good it’s definitely worth it. I’m not sure what symptoms you’re suffering with but I always get a stiff neck and soreness in the top of my back so having this helps relieve some tension! 

Hope you start having some relief soon, I know how debilitating they can be 😑 

X

• Posted

Hi Lauren

Your email was helpful

I have vestibular migraine. Is there a way you could pass on info about your helpful neurologist??

Many thanks.

Sandra.

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

I messaged you privately as I’m not sure I’m allowed to mention names etc on here. Hope it helps x

• Posted

I just wanted to add that drugs with the ending "mab" are man made medications that were originally designed for auto-immune disorders, it doesn't mean they won't work for other conditions, it just means they have not been around too long & while they may have test/trial results for the MAIN purpose they were created, there may not be trials for OTHER uses, also they can come with a lot of side effects(this is an injection so it stays in your system an extended period or has lasting effects) just be aware of NEW meds & their side effects, be sure to ask Dr. HOW it will help, what to expect, report side effects & don't be afraid to ask questions...Best Wishes to all seeking a solution to Migraines(so many types & symptoms) it is life changing & not in the GOOD way....💟Praying for you all to get relief soon, (I secretly wish my head was detachable for a while)😳?

• Posted

I’m currently on erenumab in the US. I’ve been on it for 6 weeks. Amgen in the US is giving it free for 2 months and then working with insurers after that. I have private insurance. We do not, as I’m sure you know,  have universal healthcare.  I understand they are still going to work with those without drug coverage to get the drug to you. It may have helped some. I started on a high dose of magnesium about 10 days before I started on erenumab. It was already helping. In studies it reduced migraines about 10% on the average I believe. I was having 5 a week. With the magnesium and erenumab I’m down to 2 or 3 a week. There are more like it coming out. I’m still hoping for something that will prevent almost all of them. Good luck!! 
  • Posted

I too would be interested in an injection for migraines but would be very aware of the side effects too as people say it’s an INjection  and can’t be rectified so untill it has proven tests in the U.K. I would be very apprehensive in getting the jab everyone is different and so could react differently and I am very cautious with medication I’m always reading the leaflets that come with them to see what side effects to expect . I am on nortriptyline 30 mg a day for prevention of migraines which doesn’t stop the amount of them I get but are less severe but they do make me put on weight so I want to reduce the tablets and come off and see how I get on .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.