New migraine spanning for three months?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had this new kind of headache lasting for three months and I can't seem to get rid of it fully. I am a 17-year old thatwas diagnosed with ocular migraines with moderate to severe light sensitivity two years ago but, this is new headache has different symptoms. It started at the end of February this year when I noticed daily headaches coming into March.Originally, I assumed this was related to menstruation( I usually get worse migraines during menstruation than I usually do) until I realized the headaches continued after my period had ended in march. These headaches are very long in duration, lasting from 4-8 hours, every day from 1:30 PM to 9:30 PM. The pain started as band around my forehead, similar to a tension headache, and spread to my entire head from my forehead to the rectus capitis muscle. New symptoms such as aura, and nausea occurred with the headaches.Two hours is my pain limit before I became debilitated and need to lay down in a dark room. I tried using ice and heat, but this only dulled the pain slightly. Ibuprofen was ineffective and naproxen only lasted for 1.5 hours before the pain came back in full. I have an unspecified sleeping disorder(since I was nine) and the headaches have forced me to increase my dosage of melatonin from 1mg to 4mg. I also take prescribed 10mg of mirtazapine,  and magtein, L-theanine, Gaba, Tryptophan, probiotic supplements every night to sleep. The strange thing is that these headaches can start a week before my periods(persist during 5-day period), and continue after for about two weeks. I've looked up pre-menstrual syndrome and post-menstrual syndrome, however all my research has told me the symptoms end before or after menstruation. Eliminating foods like dairy(I'm lactose intolerant but can handle cheese) or sugar did not help, nor did increasing exercise. My parents can only do so much without taking me to a doctor, and I'd like to try all other options before that time comes(if possible). I don't think this is something fatal. I've missed appointments with friends and acquaintances due to severity of the headaches. 

Any help would be highly appreciated.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi kristi im so sorry ur suffering like this you should go to a doctor as new symptoms should be reported I get stages of migraine that can last every day of the month also and I think mines due to my neck and stress as they are worse when im stressed .I use paracetamol and a cold flannel over my eyes and go to sleep this always works , I feel for you as it does ruin your life I get aura first then numbness but I dont get headaches with these, just a bad headache any other time without aura.please go see doc they will send u to neurologist for a check and try cutting out nitrates and drink water to hydrate, and make sure you eat breakfast dont leave long between meals all this can cause migraine x.good luck .
    • Posted

Hello Laura,

Thank you for the advice! I will try to cut out nitrates and stay hydrated.

• Posted

Hey, I've had this pain a year now. If you want medication, you could try Pizotifen? Shout if you ever feel isolated (pain can be a lonely experience). Hope this help smile

If not try frequent liquids, less junk foods and maybe keeping a headache diary? Do you notice any triggers, etc

• Posted

Jemstone49,

I appreciate you reaching out although Pizotifen is not available in the region where I live and I read that it can interact with other drugs I take. Being in pain can be tormenting, especially if you can't find a cure. 

• Posted

I wish you the best 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.