New Migraine Sufferer (I think!)

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm sixty years old, and had never had a migraine (or so I thought) until last year. I was at work and suddenly felt unwell, and had what I can only describe as 'sparkling' at the edge of my vision (both eyes) . I described my symptoms to a colleague who said it sounded like a migraine. I didn't really have any headache, and it passed after less than an hour. I carried on working, despite feeling a bit washed out. I wondered if I might have more, but nothing until a earlier this week, when it happened again, along with some pain on the top of my head. It took me a while to realise that the reason I couldn't properly see my computer monitor (I work in accounting) was because the 'sparkles' were back, after which the headache kicked in. This time I felt quite unwell, and I didn't feel safe to drive home so my husband came to get me. I took some nurofen and went to bed. Felt pretty fragile the rest of the day, and had a slight residual headache the following day, but went back to work. Is it usual to have what I understand is called an 'aura' with only a slight headache? I've heard of people vomiting, and having to lie in a darkened room for maybe a day or more; should I expect this in the future?

I said earlier I thought I'd never had a migraine until last year... but reading up on it, I have experienced the 'world spinning' sensation, along with a general feeling of being unwell & shaky, several times over the years - often when I get that, it feels like my eyes are flicking back and forth (though I don't know if they are). I'm wondering now if they were a kind of migraine as well - I'd sometimes get a mild headache with that, sometimes none at all. No 'sparkles' until last year!

I haven't bothered my GP with it as yet - as I said, I thought that last week's was only the second one in over a year - but now I'm wondering if I should. I'm also quite overweight, have tinnitus and high blood pressure, no idea at all if those are contributory factors. I also wondered if the very 'heavy' and humid weather might have been a factor. I tend to get what I call 'snow headaches' whenever we have snow - not often here in the South East of the UK, but I've had those often enough to often be able to predict when we will get snow! Probably something to do with the barometric pressure, I imagine.

Apologies for the long and somewhat rambling nature of this post - I thought it might be a good idea to get some feedback from those who know more about migraines than I do. I'd be very interested to know if anyone else experiences similar symptoms to me.

Thanks for reading. 😃

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elaine,

Your experience certainly sounds like migraine to me, auras come in all shapes and forms and some people don't have a headache at all. I've had weird reactions to patterned floors and carpets all my life (make me go dizzy) and had bad motion sickness as a child. Only in my mid twenties did I get a migraine aura- it starts with me as a small blind spot which starts to sparkle the expands into a zigzag arc which either goes left or right and eventually disappears beyond my peripheral vision. I see the aura in both eyes whether they are open or closed. No headache but feel very spaced out, I get cold pins and needles at the top of my head, pulling at the side of my mouth, often I get a dizzy aura instead of visual or double vision or blind spots. I've also experienced phantom smells as part of the aura and my sense of smell is always heightened in an attack. Tinnitus is part of my aura as well and lately I'm getting hearing distortions where quiet sounds are incredibly loud.

As I approach menopause this has really escalated, sometimes I get a slight headache after the aura like you. My brother gets the flickering lights in his peripheral vision like you do but no headache, my poor eldest sister got the violent headaches and uncontrollable vomiting so think I got off lightly!

Do you feel the aura coming on? Maybe suddenly feel really tired, yawning more than usual? The hangover feeling the next day is a normal part of migraine as is brain fog ( I really have to watch myself when I'm in that state). If any of this sounds familiar it's pretty likely a migraine, they can and do change over your lifetime.

Hope this helps, love from Anne x

• Posted

Thank you Anne - it's very helpful, interesting -and somewhat comforting- to hear all this information! I suspect I have been having very mild, non-headache migraines for several years and have never realised that's what they are. I will take all this on board, thank you! x

• Posted

Hello Elaine, You should see your Dr....this doesn't have to be scary, just something you shouldn't ignore, it certainly sounds like a Migraine. I have suffered from them for about 20 yrs. They can change over time & the symptoms can be varied from person to person(even headache to headache). I am sure you have heard/read about all the varied symptoms(it doesn't mean YOU will have them)Yes, you can have strange auras(not everyone gets them), w/o a headache or headache comes later, nausea is a common symptom but, in varying degrees, & not always (just like sensitivities to light, smell, sound) & etc.., barometric pressure can cause Migraines in some people, eye strain can cause Migraine (you may need a filter on your screen at work), Migraines are usually one sided but, can switch sides, sort of overlapping(one side can cause WORSE headaches) some may be short lived & manageable, while others last longer & are more stubborn! It doesn't mean they will get much worse, or even be the same next time, they can go away &/or you can find ways to prevent/treat them! START Journaling your symptoms; time of day, how long they last, foods, activities, caffeine, medications, exact symptoms, which side, can really help almost everyone(in some way) to figure out patterns or TRIGGERS!! MOST IMPORTANT: SEE YOUR Dr.!!! about ALL your symptoms, as they should rule out ANY OTHER medical condition(s), esp. since you have other health issues, your Dr. shouldn't be bothered by your visit, it is a medical issue that is disrupting your life...ONLY a Dr. can diagnose you...BRING: your journal, list of symptoms, ALL meds(even supplements/OTC/herbals & etc..), list of questions.....then you can come up with a regular treatment plan (& keep journaling to see what may be TRIGGERING your symptoms & avoid those). Your Dr. should do a basic neuro check, look at/in your eyes, check your blood pressure, take a FULL medical history & may want to do various other tests, like bloodwork or scans, these are all to rule out OTHER medical conditions & come to a diagnosis of Migraine!! Stress can be a huge factor in Migraines, it not only can CAUSE them, it can make them harder to get rid of, it may be helpful to find some new relaxation techniques!! Once DIAGNOSED, you can use things like heat/cold on your effected side, dark quiet spaces, SLEEP can sometimes make an active Migraine go away, there are a variety of treatments, including medication & prevention, your DIAGNOSIS is the start!! Hopefully you get some answers soon & you NEVER have another!! Best Wishes☮🌈💕 happy to answer any other questions🍀

• Posted

Thank you, Sgt. Lindalee. As I said to Anne, above, I've only just realised that I may have been having migraines for several years without realising it... I will definitely visit my GP. I know that i need a new prescription for my spectacles, and have an eye test later this week, which may help, too. Certainly the migraines have been very infrequent, which is perhaps partly why I have never really thought about them. It will be interesting to see how things progress (or not) now that I know... 😃 Thanks again for the advice! x

• Posted

The "sparkles " by themselves can be caused by electrolyte depletion or dehydration. Treat that first with lots of water every day and orange juice for its potassium content. But your symptoms are also combined with other symptoms common to migraines, so it's time to see a doctor. Don't let it get worse.....jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.